Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] 2nd WGLC, draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-09

From: Kentaro Ebisawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 18:10:40 +0900

Hi,

I've reviewed xlate-09 and here's some comments.

1. In "8. Appendix:", Address 166.111.1.2 is used as an example.
   Should't we use address from RFC5737 (198.51.100.0/24, 203.0.113.0/24) insted ?

2. In "3.3.  Translating ICMPv4 Error Messages into ICMPv6" :
>   There are some differences between the ICMPv4 and the ICMPv6 error
>   message formats as detailed above.  In addition, the ICMP error
>   messages contain for the packet in error, which needs to be

I think it should be ...

   message formats as detailed above.  In addition, the ICMP error
   messages contain packet in error, which needs to be

3. [Page 23]
>   addresses.  In this case, the translator can ether do stateful

ether -> either

Thanks,
-- 
Kentaro Ebisawa <[email-masked]>

---

From: Xing Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:34:04 +0800

>    Should't we use address from RFC5737 (198.51.100.0/24, 203.0.113.0/24) insted ?

yes. we will use the document block in next version.
>    messages contain packet in error, which needs to be

yes, corrected.

>>   addresses.  In this case, the translator can ether do stateful
yes, corrected.

thanks.

regards,

xing

---

From: Kentaro Ebisawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 00:40:57 +0900

Hi Xing,

In section 3.1., there is a description about sending "Fragment Needed"
message when DF=1 and translated packet is larger than the next-hop MTU.

>   If the DF bit is set and the MTU of the next-hop interface is less
>   than the total length value of the IPv4 packet plus 20, the
>   translator MUST send an ICMPv4 "Fragmentation Needed" error message
>   to the IPv4 source address.

But I noticed there is no corresponding description in section 4. that
translator should send PTB when DF=1 and translated packet is larger
than the next-hop MTU.

So I think it will be more clear if we add description like below.
# unless I missed it's mentioned someplace else in the doc.

* Section 4. [Page 18]
>   if there is no fragmentation header in the IPv6 packet, the
>   translator SHOULD set DF to 0 for the packets equal to or smaller
>   than 1280 bytes and set DF to 1 for packets larger than 1280 bytes.
If translated packet with DF set to 1 will be larger than the MTU of
the next-hop interface, then translator MUST drop packet and send
ICMPv6 "Packet Too Big" (Type 2/Code 0) error message to the IPv6
host with adjusted MTU in the ICMPv6 message.

Thanks,

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:34:04 +0800
Xing Li <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Behave mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave

---

From: Xing Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 07:47:20 +0800

Hi, Kentaro,

Thanks for your comment.

> host with adjusted MTU in the ICMPv6 message.

The reasons we did not have this paragraph is that in general this will
not happen, since from IPv6->IPv4, the packet size will be 20 byte smaller.

Using your suggested wording, we can make it more clear. Thanks.

Regards,

xing