Subject: [BEHAVE] I-D Action:draft-zheng-host-initiated-nat-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 15:47:55 +0800

Dear Behave colleagues,

A new draft on HI-NAT (Host-initiated NAT) has been posted.
It is not directly IPv6 related, but I think it may be useful
in IPv6 transition. 

Title : Host-initiated NAT 
Author(s) : L. Zheng 
Filename : draft-zheng-host-initiated-nat-00.txt 
Pages : 7 
Date : 2010-9-27 
 
This document presents a new method to implement the NAT function, 
which requires the cooperating of the hosts and the NAT gateway. The 
proposed NAT mechanism is called Host-initiated NAT, or HI-NAT for 
short. Traditional NAT function is performed in the gateway, while 
the hosts are not aware of the address translation at all. One 
drawback of such mechanism is that all translation works need to be 
done in one device, the NAT gateway, which may bring performance 
bottleneck. The presented HI-NAT mechanism shows another possible 
solution to improve network performance by the cooperating of the 
hosts and the Gateway. In more details, the hosts will initiate the 
NAT procedure with its local IP address. After getting the translated 
IP address, the hosts will use it in every packet sending out to ease 
the translating workload of the NAT gateway. 
 
A URL for this Internet-Draft is: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zheng-host-initiated-nat-00.txt 
 
Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at: 
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/ 

Comments most welcomed!

Best wishes, 

Linfeng