Subject: [BEHAVE] I-D Action:draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 06:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Dual Stack Hosts Using "Bump-in-the-Host" (BIH)
	Author(s)       : B. Huang, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-01.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2010-10-19

This document describes the "Bump-In-the-Host" (BIH), a host based
IPv4 to IPv6 protocol translation mechanism that allows a subset of
applications supporting only IPv4 to communicate with peers that are
reachable only with IPv6.  A host may be connected to IPv6-only or
dual-stack access network.  Essentially BIH makes the IPv4
applications think they talk to IPv4 peers and hence hides the
existence of IPv6 from those applications.

Acknowledgement of previous work

This document is an update to and directly derivative from Kazuaki
TSHUCHIYA, Hidemitsu HIGUCHI, and Yoshifumi ATARASHI [RFC2767] and
from Seungyun Lee, Myung-Ki Shin, Yong-Jin Kim, Alain Durand, and
Erik Nordmark's [RFC3338], which similarly provides a dual stack host
means to communicate with other IPv6 host using existing IPv4
appliations.  This document combines and updates both [RFC2767] and
[RFC3338].

The changes in this document reflect five components

1.  Supporting IPv6 only network connections

2.  IPv4 address pool use private address instead of the

unassigned IPv4 addresses (0.0.0.1 - 0.0.0.255)

3.  Extending ENR and address mapper to operate differently

4.  Adding an alternative way to implement the ENR

5.  Going for standards track instead of experimental/

informational

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 15:58:27 +0200

Hi,

Please comment on the revision -01. Main changes:
- Clarifications that BIH should not be used when there is IPv4 path
- Clarification that lacking all other IPv4 paths, then BIH can translate IPv4 to IPv6 even if destination has (totally unreachable) IPv4 addresses 
- First proposal for source and destination IPv4 address blocks to be used (section 4.3)
	- source: 172.21.112.0/30
	- Primary destination: 172.21.80.0/20
	- Secondary destination: 10.170.160.0/20
- Comment of checksum calculation need
- Clarification about ENR behavior in case of A record only (pass to application for cleaner failure)
- Some more details to reverse DNS lookup procedures
- Compression of address mapper section and focus to only scenarios in scope
- Multi-interface considerations, especially when real IPv4 interface opens (no new session through BIH, existing may be terminated - implementation choice)
- Multicast consideration: not supported
- DNS cache consideration: if applicable, must be flushed when BIH closes
- Acknowledgement for BIW

Plenty of time until Monday, so -02 could easily be made to accommodate next patch of feedback:)

Best regards,

Teemu

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of ext [email-masked]
> Sent: 19. lokakuuta 2010 16:45
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [BEHAVE] I-D Action:draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-01.txt
> 
> dual-stack access network.  Essentially BIH makes the IPv4 applications
> think they talk to IPv4 peers and hence hides the existence of IPv6
> from those applications.
> 
> TSHUCHIYA, Hidemitsu HIGUCHI, and Yoshifumi ATARASHI [RFC2767] and from
> Seungyun Lee, Myung-Ki Shin, Yong-Jin Kim, Alain Durand, and Erik
> Nordmark's [RFC3338], which similarly provides a dual stack host means
> to communicate with other IPv6 host using existing IPv4 appliations.
> This document combines and updates both [RFC2767] and [RFC3338].
>