Subject: [BEHAVE] Protocol Action: 'DNS64: DNS extensions for Network Address Translation from IPv6 Clients to IPv4 Servers' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-behave-dns64-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:16:24 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'DNS64: DNS extensions for Network Address Translation from IPv6
   Clients to IPv4 Servers'
  (draft-ietf-behave-dns64-11.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance
Avoidance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are David Harrington and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-behave-dns64/

Technical Summary

   DNS64 is a mechanism for synthesizing AAAA records from A records.
   DNS64 is used with an IPv6/IPv4 translator to enable client-server
   communication between an IPv6-only client and an IPv4-only server,
   without requiring any changes to either the IPv6 or the IPv4 node,
   for the class of applications that work through NATs.  This document
   specifies DNS64, and provides suggestions on how it should be
   deployed in conjunction with IPv6/IPv4 translators.

Working Group Summary

The document represents WG consensus.

Document Quality

several vendors are actively implementing the specification.
The document does not require a MIB, ABNF, or media type review.

It should be reviewed by the DNS Directorate.

Personnel

Responsible AD: David Harrington 
Dan Wing ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd. 
The document doesn't require IANA experts.

RFC Editor Note

1. Please be sure IPv6 hex addresses are represented in lowercase hex, as per draft-ietf-6man-text-representation.
2. Some minor nits:
#1) Sec 2: r/mode" ./mode".
#2) Sec 5.1.3: r/. ./.
#3) Sec 5.1.7: 
 3a) r/from the A record/from the A record.
 3b) r/28 (AAAA)/28 (AAAA).
 3c) r/to 16/to 16.
 3d) r/([RFC2308]/([RFC2308]).
#4) Sec 7.1 & 7.2: r/h2.example.com/h2.example.com.
#5) Sec 7.1: r/is 64:FF9B::192.0.2.1/is 64:FF9B::192.0.2.1.