Subject: [BEHAVE] Logging action items: realm and subscriber site ID

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 12:55:04 -0400

Reading over the MIB document, I see that I got the wrong idea about 
realm. Basically to identify a specific subscriber site we need both the 
realm and the subscriber site ID as described in 
draft-ietf-behave-syslog-nat-logging-02, section 3.

Issue: the MIB provides only for an IP address. This fails to 
accommodate Gateway-Initiated DS-Lite [RFC6674]. Does the MIB need to be 
extended? And it will be interesting to decide how SYSLOG should do it. 
Rather than the generic string in the current version, perhaps we should 
go back to explicit distinction between IPv4, IPv6, and a CID/SWID 
combination.

Tom Taylor

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 11:02:11 +0200

Le 2013-09-12 18:55, Tom Taylor a écrit :
> extended?

I think so. Unless anyone disagrees, the next revision will add an
optional realm ID to the subscriber struct.

> And it will be interesting to decide how SYSLOG should do it.

FWIW, the latter is how we do it in the MIB.

Simon

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 07:52:54 -0400

> optional realm ID to the subscriber struct.

[PTT] That seems like it would be useful in general. In the particular 
case of GW-initiated DS-Lite, it could substitute for the Context 
Identifier, so that the subscriber site ID would consist only of the 
16-bit Softwire Identifier. Maybe the realm table could be extended to 
add an optional Context Identifier object.

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 13:54:09 +0200

> add an optional Context Identifier object.

Not sure what "realm table" you are referring to. As far as the MIB is
concerned, a realm is an opaque string with implementation-defined meaning.

Simon

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:38:08 -0400

Sorry -- the realm table isn't there, but was proposed at the meeting, 
to provide the relationship between realms and VRFs or VLANs where 
applicable, though I initially misunderstood it. Adding RFC6674 
(GW-initiated DS-Lite) Context Identifiers is a natural extension.

Tom