Subject: [bess] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-bess-dci-evpn-overlay-08

From: Victor Kuarsingh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:25:02 -0800

Reviewer: Victor Kuarsingh
Review result: Ready

Dear Authors,

I have reviewed this document as part of the Operational directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.  These
comments were written with the intent of improving the operational aspects of
the IETF drafts. Comments that are not addressed in last call may be included
in AD reviews during the IESG review.  Document editors and WG chairs should
treat these comments just like any other last call comments.

Document Reviewed - Interconnect Solution for EVPN Overlay networks
Link to Document -
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-dci-evpn-overlay-08

Summary:

This document specifies an interconnectivity model for between edge NVOs over a
WAN.  The document outlines two basic models based on Gateway mediated
connectivity described as the “Decoupled Interconnect Model”  and the
“Integrated Interconnect Model”.

The document describes the functional companies of utilizing these two models
and discusses extensions to EVPN including the “Interconnect Ethernet Segment
(I-ES)”, the use of an “Unknown MAC route” and processing of routers over the
interconnecting Gateways. ‘

This document extends functionality defined in “draft-ietf-bess-evpn-overlay”
which is already submitted for publication as of January 2018.

General Comments and Feedback:

The document as reviewed is well written had has undergone considerable review.
 Initial review was of -07 version, but review we re-done following -08
release.  I had a few feedback items, however following the RTG-DIR review
(https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/rtg-dir/a5KxnhKgz0TLwZRy6EsibQsRSqs)
published on Feb 14h, 2018, my more minor feedback points were already captured
by Alexander Vainshtein’s review.

The only remaining (minor) item was the use cases by which the document applies
with respect to reasoning to the use of models based on GWs vs. ASBRs was
captured towards the end of the document (in Security Section).  This point was
already made by Sasha in his review.

Operational considerations, of which my review was concentrated on, were well
captured through the text.  I was particularity happy with in-line explanation
of advantages and/or disadvantages to certain options/functions throughout the
document (ex. Section 3.2 - VLAN Based hand-off).  Pointers to where key
polices and functions can be implemented were captured to my satisfaction (when
considering operational review).

No other comments and/or recommendations are made as part of this review.

regards,

Victor Kuarsingh

---

From: "Rabadan, Jorge (Nokia - US/Mountain View)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 22:40:51 +0000

Hi Victor,

Revision 09 (just posted) should address your comments, as well as Sasha's.

Thank you!
Jorge

-----Original Message-----
From: Victor Kuarsingh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 1:25 AM
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-bess-dci-evpn-overlay-08
Resent-From: <[email-masked]>
Resent-To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Resent-Date: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 1:25 AM

    Dear Authors,

    
    Summary:

    

    

    
    regards,
    
    Victor Kuarsingh