Subject: [bess] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-inter-subnet-forwarding-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 09:43:05 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Integrated Routing and Bridging in EVPN
        Authors         : Ali Sajassi
                          Samer Salam
                          Samir Thoria
                          John E Drake
                          Jorge Rabadan
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bess-evpn-inter-subnet-forwarding-10.txt
	Pages           : 34
	Date            : 2020-09-03

Abstract:
   Ethernet VPN (EVPN) provides an extensible and flexible multi-homing
   VPN solution over an MPLS/IP network for intra-subnet connectivity
   among Tenant Systems and End Devices that can be physical or virtual.
   However, there are scenarios for which there is a need for a dynamic
   and efficient inter-subnet connectivity among these Tenant Systems
   and End Devices while maintaining the multi-homing capabilities of
   EVPN.  This document describes an Integrated Routing and Bridging
   (IRB) solution based on EVPN to address such requirements.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-inter-subnet-forwarding/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-inter-subnet-forwarding-10
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-inter-subnet-forwarding-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bess-evpn-inter-subnet-forwarding-10

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Anoop Ghanwani <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2020 11:18:52 -0700

Reading the doc, I found several editorial nits.  I'm half way through and
these are the comments.  If there is interest in addressing them, I will
send comments on the remainder.

throughout

- document uses route type, Route Type, route type-, RT-.

  Would be good if it consistently used RT- notation throughout.

pg 4

- VA: Virtual Appliance

  Never used in the document, suggest remove.

- NVGRE never used anywhere except figures.

  Suggest removing the definition and changing figures

  to show GENEVE.

pg 5

- back-haul, back haul

  Suggest change to backhaul.

- vise versa -> vice versa

- "FW or DPI"

  Spell these out.

pg 6

- "VLAN- Based" -> VLAN-Based

pg 7

- "a IP-VRF via a L3 inteface called IRB interface" ->

  an IR-VRF via an L3 interace called an IRB interface.

- "IP-VRF is identified..." ->

  An IP-VRF is identified...

- "MAY" -> may

  Previous bullet does not capitalize "may" and it doesn't

- It would be better if, when discussing lookups, IP _DA_ and

  MAC _DA_ are mentioned rather than just IP and MAC.  (We

  are looking up addresses, not protocols.)

- "The ingress

   PE performs a MAC lookup followed by an IP lookup and the egress PE

   performs a IP lookup followed by a MAC lookup as depicted in the

   following figure."

   This sequence applies only if there is an L3 tunnel between the

   PEs, right?  If so, that should be clarified.

pg 9

- "data planes procedures" -> data _plane_ procedures

- "used in description of" -> "used to describe"

pg 10

- "Neighbor Advertisement (NA)for"

  missing a space between (NA) and for.

pg 11

- "(VRID, range 1-255))"

  extra parenthesis

- several instances where MAC should be "MAC address".

- "These IP addresses need to be distributed as VPN

   routes"

  Does this mean EVPN route type 5?

- "to the PE that is attached to" ->

  to the PE that _it_ is attached to

pg 12

- NDP cahce -> NDP cache

- "Router's MAC EC"

  Spell out EC.

pg 13

- "If the MAC- VRF (and BT) exists"

  remove extra space in MAC- VRF.

pg 14

- (MAC,IP)

  missing a space

- "connected route redistribution to BGP" ->

  connected route redistribution in BGP

- "associated MPLS/VNI values" ->

  associated MPLS label/VNI values.

pg 15

- "MAC- VRF"

  remove extra space

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 9:43 AM <[email-masked]> wrote:

>         Filename        :
> draft-ietf-bess-evpn-inter-subnet-forwarding-10.txt
>         Pages           : 34
>         Date            : 2020-09-03
>
> Abstract:
> _______________________________________________
> BESS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bess
>

---

From: Anoop Ghanwani <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2020 11:28:27 -0700

There are also a couple of idnits, one of them being a missing reference
for GENEVE.