Subject: [bess] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Warren Kumari via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 09:17:06 -0700

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags-06: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-na-flags/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Be ye not afraid! This DISCUSS should be fairly trivial to address...

This allows for more information to be carried with MAC/IP Advertisements. It
seems to me that this gives a DoS-style attacker more opportunities to exhaust
state on routers - I could sit on a wire and create lots of ARP/ND states (make
up new IP and MAC combinations), causing this to be propagated and burning
memory / state / etc.

This is somewhat discussed in RFC 7432, but the technique in this document
seems like it makes this issue somewhat worse - a single sentence in the
Security Considerations noting it would satisfy me (as would an explanation
that I'm mistaken :-)).

I also support EK & Rob's DISCUSSes

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Other than my DISUCSSes, I found this document to be well written and easy to
understand - thank you for writing it...