Subject: [bess] RFC 8950 on Advertising IPv4 Network Layer Reachability Information (NLRI) with an IPv6 Next Hop

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 14:47:24 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8950

        Title:      Advertising IPv4 Network Layer Reachability 
                    Information (NLRI) with an IPv6 Next Hop
        Author:     S. Litkowski,
                    S. Agrawal,
                    K. Ananthamurthy,
                    K. Patel
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Obsoletes:  RFC 5549

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bess-rfc5549revision-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8950

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8950

Multiprotocol BGP (MP-BGP) specifies that the set of usable next-hop
address families is determined by the Address Family Identifier (AFI)
and the Subsequent Address Family Identifier (SAFI).  The AFI/SAFI
definitions for the IPv4 address family only have provisions for
advertising a next-hop address that belongs to the IPv4 protocol when
advertising IPv4 Network Layer Reachability Information (NLRI) or
VPN-IPv4 NLRI. 

This document specifies the extensions necessary to allow the
advertising of IPv4 NLRI or VPN-IPv4 NLRI with a next-hop address
that belongs to the IPv6 protocol.  This comprises an extension of
the AFI/SAFI definitions to allow the address of the next hop for
IPv4 NLRI or VPN-IPv4 NLRI to also belong to the IPv6 protocol, the
encoding of the next hop to determine which of the protocols the
address actually belongs to, and a BGP Capability allowing MP-BGP
peers to dynamically discover whether they can exchange IPv4 NLRI and
VPN-IPv4 NLRI with an IPv6 next hop. This document obsoletes RFC
5549.

This document is a product of the BGP Enabled Services Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC