Subject: [bess] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-fast-failover-13: (with COMMENT)

From: Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 14:38:25 -0800

Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-fast-failover-13: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-fast-failover/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to Daniel Migault for the SECDIR review

I support Ben and Alvaro's DISCUSS positions.

One editorial nit from Section 3.1.6:

An implementation that does not recognize
   or is configured not to support this attribute MUST follow procedures
   defined for optional transitive path attributes in Section 5 of
   [RFC4271].

It seems odd to be specifying normative language for implementations that do
not/will not understand this specification.  I appreciate that this MUST is
coming from RFC4271.

---

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 19:15:13 -0800

Hi Roman,
thank you for the review and the comment. Please find the proposed update
below under the GIM>> tag.

Regards,
Greg

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-fast-failover/
GIM>> Indeed, sounds illogical. Would an updated text be acceptable:
   This document defines the format and ways of using a new BGP
   attribute called the "BFD Discriminator".  It is an optional
   transitive BGP attribute.  Thus it is expected that an implementation
   that does not recognize or is configured not to support this
   attribute follows procedures defined for optional transitive path
   attributes in Section 5 of [RFC4271].

---

From: Roman Danyliw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 14:10:14 +0000

Hi Greg!

From: Greg Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 10:15 PM
To: Roman Danyliw <[email-masked]>
Cc: The IESG <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; BESS <[email-masked]>; Stephane Litkowski <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-fast-failover-13: (with COMMENT)

Hi Roman,
thank you for the review and the comment. Please find the proposed update below under the GIM>> tag.

Regards,
Greg

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 2:38 PM Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-fast-failover-13: No Objection

[Roman] That looks good.  Thanks for this clarifying text.

Regards,
Roman