Subject: [bess] Last Call: <draft-ietf-bess-evpn-proxy-arp-nd-09.txt> (Operational Aspects of Proxy-ARP/ND in EVPN Networks) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 07:08:59 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG (bess) to
consider the following document: - 'Operational Aspects of Proxy-ARP/ND in
EVPN Networks'
  <draft-ietf-bess-evpn-proxy-arp-nd-09.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-12-15. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The EVPN MAC/IP Advertisement route can optionally carry IPv4 and
   IPv6 addresses associated with a MAC address.  Remote PEs importing
   those routes in the same Broadcast Domain (BD) can use this
   information to reply locally (act as proxy) to IPv4 ARP requests and
   IPv6 Neighbor Solicitation messages (or 'unicast-forward' them to the
   owner of the MAC) and reduce/suppress the flooding produced by the
   Address Resolution procedure.  This EVPN capability is extremely
   useful in Internet Exchange Points (IXPs) and Data Centers (DCs) with
   large BDs, where the amount of ARP/ND flooded traffic causes issues
   on connected routers and CEs.  This document describes the EVPN
   Proxy-ARP/ND function augmented by the capability of the ARP/ND
   Extended Community, which together help IXPs and other operators to
   deal with the issues derived from Address Resolution in large BDs.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-proxy-arp-nd/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.