Subject: [bfcpbis] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-bfcpbis-bfcp-websocket-14: (with COMMENT)

From: "Kathleen Moriarty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 11:40:09 -0800

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bfcpbis-bfcp-websocket-14: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfcpbis-bfcp-websocket/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Alexey's comment on section 8.  If fallback to HTTP
authentication happens, the implementer should be aware of the weaknesses
in HTTP basic [RFC7617] and digest [RFC7616] spelled out in the
respective security considerations sections.  The HTTPAuth WG put out a
few experimental RFCs with methods to eliminate some of the weaknesses,
like HOBA [RFC7486] that gets rid of the need for passwords.  Adding this
detail would be helpful.

---

From: "Ram Mohan R (rmohanr)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 15:12:00 +0000

Hi Kathleen,

Please see inline 

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, 19 January 2017 at 1:10 AM
To: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-bfcpbis-bfcp-websocket-14: (with COMMENT)
Resent-From: <[email-masked]>
Resent-To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Resent-Date: Thursday, 19 January 2017 at 1:10 AM

    

<Ram> Does this text looks ok ?

EXISTING:
         If the status code received from the server is not 101,
          the WebSocket client stack handles the response per HTTP
          [RFC7230] procedures, in particular the
          client might perform authentication if it receives 401
          status code.
NEW:
        If the status code received from the server is not 101,
          the WebSocket client stack handles the response per HTTP
          [RFC7230] procedures, in particular the
          client might perform authentication if it receives 401
          status code.  The WebSocket clients are vulnerable to the attacks
         of basic authentication (mentioned in Section 4 of [RFC7617]) and 
        digest authentication (mentioned in Section 5 of [RFC7616]). To overcome
        some of these weakness, the WebSocket clients can use HTTP Origin-Bound Authentication (HOBA)
        mechanism mentioned in [RFC7486].

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 11:24:42 -0500

Hi Ram,

>     https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfcpbis-bfcp-websocket/

This looks good, but HOBA is just one of 3 experimental options to
improve HTTPAuth.  SCRAM, RFC7804, is one of the other options, then
the third is in 3 RFCs that are int he RFC editor queue.  You could
list one as an example or maybe add in SCRAM too.

Thank you,
Kathleen

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: "Ram Mohan R (rmohanr)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 16:42:54 +0000

HI Kathleen,

I will add the text “as an example” to the sentence.

Thanks,
Ram 

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, 30 January 2017 at 9:54 PM
To: "Ram Mohan R (rmohanr)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: The IESG <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-bfcpbis-bfcp-websocket-14: (with COMMENT)

    Hi Ram,

    
    Thank you,
    Kathleen

    -- 
    
    Best regards,
    Kathleen

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 12:25:17 -0500

Thank you, Ram.

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen