Subject: [bfcpbis] Protocol Action: 'Session Description Protocol (SDP) Format for Binary Floor Control Protocol (BFCP) Streams' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-bfcpbis-rfc4583bis-27.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 13:12:34 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Session Description Protocol (SDP) Format for Binary Floor Control
   Protocol (BFCP) Streams'
  (draft-ietf-bfcpbis-rfc4583bis-27.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Binary Floor Control Protocol Bis Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfcpbis-rfc4583bis/

Technical Summary

  This document defines the Session Description Protocol (SDP) offer/answer
  procedures for negotiating and establishing Binary Floor Control Protocol
  (BFCP) steams.  BFCP is used between floor participants and floor control
  servers, and between floor chairs (i.e., moderators) and floor control
  servers.  Floor control is a means to manage joint or exclusive access to
  shared resources in a (multiparty) conferencing environment.  This document
  obsoletes RFC 4583.

Working Group Summary

  This document was thoroughly reviewed by members of the BFCPBIS WG.

Document Quality

  There are existing implementations of RFC 4583 and this document has been
  implemented by at least one vendor.  The formation of the BFCPBIS WG was
  triggered by the IMTC, who defined the use of BFCP in their SIP Best Current
  Practices for Video profile.  The vendors that had implemented BFCP found
  the need to also use UDP in certain situations, thus the interested parties
  brought the proposal, along with an initial version of this draft to the
  IETF (DISPATCH WG).

Personnel

  Mary Barnes is the Document Shepherd.  Adam Roach is the Responsible AD.