Subject: MASC implementation public release + request for alpha testers

From: Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 05:31:24 -0700

The software is available from:

ftp://catarina.usc.edu/pub/masc/mascd/
http://netweb.usc.edu/masc/mascd/

It is alpha release, and lacks all desired functionalities (e.g. no
AAP and MZAP), but even in this form it can be used for various
experiments, tests and evaluations:

  * mascd : up to date (draft-3) MASC implementation.
    It has zebra-lib (aka. VTY) interface, which is very useful for
    remote (telnet-like) configuration and experiments (allocating
    addresses, modifying timers, etc).

  * mascsim: the MASC simulator. It shares the same MASC-specific
    code with mascd, and has proven to be quite useful improving the
    address allocation algorithms, and discovering various protocol
    and implementation bugs by creating a number of failure
    scenarios. A toolkit for running the simulations is included
    too.

I have setup one machine as a Top-Level Domain MASC server, so if
you are interested in wide-area experiments, I encourage you as a
starting point to peer your TLD MASC server with that machine.

More details in the READMEs files.

Enjoy,
Pavlin

P.S. If you are interested in more systematic testing, please let me
know, and later I will send you more detailed description of
wide-area testing plan and procedures.