Subject: BGMP Minutes from DC

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 13:33:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

  Here are the minutes from the BGMP meeting in DC.

  Bill

BGMP met once at the DC IETF.  These minutes were prepared by Bill Fenner.

Dave Thaler spoke first, about debugging and monitoring of BGMP.
First, a BGMP MIB is needed.  Second, tools to debug the multicast
RIB (S-routes and G-routes) are needed; a BGP4+ MIB with a PathAttr
table per SAFI was suggested.  On multicast traceroute: multicast
traceroute already has rules for handling shared-tree protocols,
so the only problem arises when crossing the inside of a domain
may be problematic.  This is handled by having the BGMP router
encapsulate the trace across the domain to the upstream BGMP router
when the MIGP could be problematic.

Modifying "mrinfo" to include BGMP peering information was suggested,
but it was agreed that "mrinfo" should be replaced by SNMP and so
should not be updated with new functionality.

Dave's proposals on monitoring action items:
- add mtrace code for G-trace encapsulation
- write BGMP MIB
- Work on tools for debugging routes in M-RIB
  . unicast: topology databases, radb, etc
  . multicast: peering databases like mwatch
  . "find ANY legal path" via databases, then traverse that path to
    get an idea what is going on.

Brad Cain talked about incremental deployment of BGMP and transition
from PIM-SM+MSDP.  BGMP sources can easily be injected into MSDP;
the question is how to use a PIM-SM+MSDP domain as transit for
BGMP.  Such a domain is effectively multiple source-based-tree
domains; one option is to use domain-wide reports to make membership
known to the borders (DWR's would only be required at the RP's).

Isidor Kouvelas talked about a problem with source-specific branches
in BGMP; generally, the problem arises when a failure occurs on a
sender-only branch after a source-specific tree has been set up.  The
BGMP authors are considering solutions to the problem.

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:16:09 -0800

>Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 13:33:06 -0800 (PST)

Wow!  My laptop is really ahead of its time!

  Bill