Subject: Accepting packets on a multi-access interface owned by BGMP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:37:02 -0700

Hi all,

     Section 5.2 of the latest BGMP spec (draft-ietf-bgmp--spec-02.txt)
specifies the following rules on accepting packets arrived on an interface owned
by BGMP:

(1) If the packet was received over a point-to-point interface owned by BGMP,
the packet is accepted.

(2) If the packet arrived on a multiaccess network interface owned by BGMP, the
packet is accepted if it is receiving data on a source-specific branch, if it is
the designated forwarder for the longest matching route for S, or for the
longest matching route for the nominal root of G.

The second rule is for multiaccess network.  But it seems to me that this rule
will only work for packets being forwarded upstream toward the root of the tree.
For packets being forwarded down the tree, the downstream border router will not
be the designated forwarder. So packets travelling downstream will not be
accepted.  Am I missing something here??

Thanks,
James Huang