Subject: [Bier] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 23:27:56 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Tree Engineering for Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER-TE)
        Authors         : Toerless Eckert
                          Gregory Cauchie
                          Michael Menth
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-11.txt
	Pages           : 60
	Date            : 2021-11-15

Abstract:
   This memo describes per-packet stateless strict and loose path
   steered replication and forwarding for Bit Index Explicit Replication
   packets (RFC8279).  It is called BIER Tree Engineering (BIER-TE) and
   is intended to be used as the path steering mechanism for Traffic
   Engineering with BIER.

   BIER-TE introduces a new semantic for bit positions (BP) that
   indicate adjacencies, as opposed to (non-TE) BIER in which BPs
   indicate Bit-Forwarding Egress Routers (BFER).  BIER-TE can leverage
   BIER forwarding engines with little changes.  Co-existence of BIER
   and BIER-TE forwarding in the same domain is possible, for example by
   using separate BIER sub-domains (SDs).  Except for the optional
   routed adjacencies, BIER-TE does not require a BIER routing underlay,
   and can therefore operate without depending on an Interior Gateway
   Routing protocol (IGP).

   As it operates on the same per-packet stateless forwarding
   principles, BIER-TE can also be a good fit to support multicast path
   steering in Segment Routing (SR) networks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-te-arch/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-11

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-11

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/