Subject: Re: [BLISS] MLA Open Issue-Appearance Acquisition

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:15:41 -0400

/From/: "Derek MacDonald" <derek at counterpath.com 
<mailto:[email-masked]>>
/Date/: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:54:47 -0400

> 3. GRUU-REG thing from Dean Willis after 3 drinks
>
> A separate registrar controls the appearances.  Each appearance is a GRUU.
> Appearances are requested using a REGISTER; a parameter specifies if a 
> specific
> appearance is requested; otherwise the next available appearance is 
> returned.
>

With the caveat that I haven't invested a lot of time thinking about 
this draft: I think that approaches in this direction hold a lot of 
promise -- I'm not convinced that GRUU is exactly the right tool, but I 
suspect that a model very similar to how we get GRUUs would be much more 
elegant than the current proposal for using NOTIFY to make resource 
reservation requests.

/a
_______________________________________________
BLISS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bliss

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:44:54 -0400

On 3/11/08 11:15 AM, Adam Roach wrote:
> //With the caveat that I haven't invested a lot of time thinking about 
> promise -- I'm not convinced that GRUU is exactly the right tool, but 
> I suspect that a model very similar to how we get GRUUs would be much 
> more elegant than the current proposal for using NOTIFY to make 
> resource reservation requests.

Okay; I understand the problem much better now, and need to back off my 
statement (above). Now that I understand what we're trying to 
accomplish, I believe that having UAs indicate the appearance they are 
using is a perfectly acceptable for PUBLISH.

Of course, this opens the door to publishing semantically inconsistent 
state, since multiple phones can't sensibly be using the same appearance 
(at least, not under the current model). I believe we'll be having some 
discussion around that topic in the face-to-face meeting today.

/a