Subject: [BLISS] draft-ietf-bliss-shared-appearances-02.txt

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 14:54:39 -0400

I'd like to ask that a sentence in
draft-ietf-bliss-shared-appearances-02 be changed because it is
ambiguous and easy to misinterpret.  (A developer on the sipXecs project
already got caught by it.)  It is buried in the example of section 10.4,
discussing how the Appearance Agent receives the statuses of appearances
and passes them on to subscribing UAs:

   The Appearance Agent notifies Alice of the same event by forwarding
   the NOTIFY payload provided by Bob after appropriately changing the
   dialog id field in the XML payload to a unique value towards each
   of the entities it is forwarding to (Alice in this example).

The problem with the sentence is that it can easily be read to suggest
that the NOTIFYs provided by the AA to each subscribing UA are
different, whereas the issue really being addressed is the fact that the
AA is "unioning" the dialog events provided by the UAs, and in so doing
has to make sure the id attributes of the <dialog> elements are unique
within the resulting overall status.

I would like to propose this revision:

   The Appearance Agent notifies Alice (and all other appearances) of
   the same event by forwarding the NOTIFY payload provided by Bob.
   Since the Appearance Agent is combining Bob's dialog status with
   statuses provided by other appearances, it may have to change the
   dialog id attributes in the XML to prevent values from being
   duplicated by different appearances.

Dale

---

From: Alan Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:33:56 -0500

Dale,

I am fine making this change in the next version.

Thanks,
Alan

Dale Worley wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> BLISS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bliss
>
>