Subject: [BLISS] Share Appearance Issue: Rendering of Appearance Number

From: Alan Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 21:05:42 -0600

Is there a requirement that the actual appearance *number* be rendered
to the user?

Currently the draft says that the *order* must be rendered by the UI.

If we expect this to be ever rendered to the user, then we should
probably start at 1 instead of 0 as the examples in the draft currently
show.

Comments?

- Alan -

---

From: "Scott Lawrence" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 07:41:01 -0500

> probably start at 1 instead of 0 as the examples in the draft currently

It seems to me that if we start at zero, then we force the user
interface to do work to ensure that in any rendering non-programmers are
accommodated.  In some cases (such as mapping to buttons, this is a
non-issue, but if the user interface designer wants to use numbers as
aid to the user, then having the numbers in the protocol saves work for
the UI designer and makes it more likely that different UIs will
correlate.

---

From: Alan Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 16:24:36 -0600

Scott,

Thanks for your comments.

So you are arguing for starting at 1, correct?

- Alan -

---

From: "Scott Lawrence" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 11:29:45 -0500

> So you are arguing for starting at 1, correct? 

Yes.