Subject: [BLISS] WG Review: Recharter of Basic Level of Interoperability for SIP Services (bliss)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 09:39:10 -0800 (PST)

A modified charter has been submitted for the Basic Level of 
Interoperability for SIP Services (bliss) working group in the Real-Time 
Applications and Infrastructure Area of the IETF.  The IESG has not made 
any determination as yet.  The modified charter is provided below for 
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG 
mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, February 14, 2012.

Basic Level of Interoperability for SIP Services (bliss)
-----------------------------------------
Status: Active Working Group
Last Updated: 2012-02-02

Chair:
 Shida Schubert <[email-masked]>

Real-Time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director(s):
 Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
 Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>

Real-Time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
 Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>

Tech Advisor: 
  Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
 General Discussion: [email-masked]
 To Subscribe:	https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bliss
 Archive:	http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/bliss

Description of Working Group:

The BLISS working group is rechartered to adjust
its scope to reflect changes in working group interest
and RAI processes since its original chartering.

BLISS was chartered prior to the creation of DISPATCH.
The charter called for the WG to document how to realize
four initial building blocks in an interoperable way with
existing standards, and to describe the use of those building
blocks to implement specific call features. Any extensions
to the protocols beyond the creation of event packages or
the addition of SIP URI parameters was set out of scope
for this working group.

Working group interest in all but two of those building
blocks has diminished.  The current drafts on those two
propose extensions that under the original charter would
need to be developed in other working groups. Given the
update to the SIP change process (RFC5727) and the
subsequent restructuring of the RAI area, these constraints
are being revised as detailed below.

The BLISS working group shall be closed after completing
the following two proposed standards:
 - call completion with queuing as proposed in
     draft-ietf-bliss-call-completion
 - shared appearances as proposed in
     draft-ietf-bliss-shared-appearances

The goal to produce a problem statement and a
common template for describing primitives is abandoned.

The group will continue to work within the constraints of
the creation of event packages and SIP URI parameters, with
the addition of the ability to

 - exercise the already standardized extension points of
   SIP header fields. Currently, the documents propose to
   extend the SIP Alert-Info header field (RFC3261) to carry
   an appearance identifier, and the SIP Call-Info header
   field (RFC3261) to carry a call completion indicator.

 - extend the SIP Dialog event package (RFC4235) to carry
   appearance related state,

The working group will coordinate review of those extensions
with the SIPCORE working group.

Describing the security properties (particularly any privacy
considerations) of these deliverables remains of special
importance.

Upon completion of these two work items, the working group
will conclude. Future proposals should be directed to the
DISPATCH working group.

Goals and Milestones:

Mar 2012  Submit Shared Appearances to the IESG for
          publication as Proposed Standard
Jul 2012  Submit Call Completion to the IESG for
          publication as Proposed Standard
Sep 2012  Bliss concludes