Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bmwg-secperf-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:41:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Benchmarking Terminology for Firewall Performance
	Author(s)	: D. Newman, H. Holzbaur, J. Hurd, S. Platt
	Filename	: draft-ietf-bmwg-secperf-01.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 24-Nov-97
	
   This document defines terms used in measuring the performance of
   firewalls. It extends the terminology already used for benchmarking
   routers and switches and adds terminology specific to firewalls. The
   primary metrics defined in this document are maximum forwarding rate
   and maximum number of connections.
 
   Why are firewall performance measurements needed? First, despite the
   rapid rise in deployment of firewalls, there is no standard method
   for benchmarking their performance. Second, implementations vary
   widely, making it difficult to do direct performance comparisons.
   Finally, more and more organizations are deploying firewalls on
   internal networks operating at relatively high speeds, while most
   firewall implementations remain optimized for use over low-speed
   wide-area connections. As a result, users are often unsure whether
   the products they buy will stand up to relatively heavy loads.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-bmwg-secperf-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-secperf-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-secperf-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.