Subject: Re: test duration...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 08:23:24 -0400

The issue is whether or not throughput varies as a function of length
(frames dropped after queues fill, etc)  Throughput should be the steady
state response of the DUT/SUT under a given offered load.  The duration
need only be long enough to ensure that a steady state has been reached.

Jim McQuaid

NetScout Systems

[email-masked] on 04/24/98 08:07:34 AM

To:   [email-masked]
cc:   [email-masked] (bcc: Jim McQuaid)
Subject:  test duration...

Hello,
I am one of many who do benchmarking within Cisco, and am interested in the
bmwg's thought process regarding the selection of a 60sec snapshot when
measuring throughput. I am benchmarking within a multi DUT environment and
was using a 10minute test duration for throughput testing.
Obviously this longer test time may impacting the throughput rates, and
before I reduce the test time to 60 seconds, I'd like your input.
Thank you.
Paul Wiggins
Cisco Systems

---

From: Paul Wiggins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:04:12 -0400

Jim,

>need only be long enough to ensure that a steady state has been reached.

Understood. With the DUT/SUT in a steady state (no routing update, no
broadcasts, etc) is expected that throughput would remain constant over time? 

Not theoretically, but realistically.

For if the measured 60 second throughput rate -is- within 1-2 packets per
second of the DUT/SUT's failure point (loss of packets); is it realistic to
expect the DUT/SUT to successfully maintain the 60 second throughput rate
over a 10+ minute time period.

I'm sure the bmwg has wrestled with this issue more than once, and I'm
hoping that there was a definitive decision (documented ?) regarding
benchmarking over extended time periods.

Thank you

-Paul