Subject: Multicast draft questions

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Dubray)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:56:28 -0500

In the last multicast draft version, translational throughput (3.2.4)
is defined:

     The maximum rate at which none of the frames offered in an
     transitional format to the SUT are dropped in the process of
     converting those frames to their appropriate, final format and
     subsequent correct delivery.

The metric was drafted to be as generic as possible, with possible
reuse in other encapsulation/labelling/tagging schemes.

It has been communicated to me that the following relationships
could be inferred from the metric:

     A) encapsulation  (native frame to encapsulated)
     B) decapsulation  (encapsulated frame to native frame)
     C) dual encapsul. (encapsulated frame to decapsulated frame back to
                        encapsulated frame)

Moreover, because of the potential differentiation between these measurements,
it may make sense to replace 3.2.4 with a set of explicit metrics capturing
the relationships reflected by A, B, and C. For example, define an 
Encapsulation Throughput, Decapsulation Throughput, etc.)

Any thoughts?

-Kevin