Subject: [bmwg] BMWG Last Call: New Work Proposal on EGP Convergence Benchmarks

From: Kevin Dubray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:57:59 -0400

BMWG:

It has been proposed that the BMWG support a new work item 
relative to the following individually-submitted Internet-Draft:

 "Benchmarking Methodology for Exterior Routing Convergence"

A link to this I-D can be found here:

 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-berkowitz-bgpcon-01.txt

If accepted, the WG Goal of this work item would be to derive
a Terminology document and a companion Methodology document on
the subject addressed by the above Berkowitz et al. I-D.

The rationale of this work is to establish a foundation upon
which to characterize the convergence of reachability information
across a participating network element.

Specifically, this initiative will produce the terminology, metrics,
and associated methodologies relating to the description of convergence
performance as it relates to a BGP-4 implementation in a clinical
environment.

Because of its limited scope, this work WILL NOT attempt to address
such topics as burdened responses (forwarding and control plane
interaction), EGP and IGP interaction, or global network 
convergence.  These and similar topics may be address in future
documents.
  
If there are reasons for which you feel that the BMWG should not
undertake the effort to advance this work, please email this list 
or [email-masked] no later than 29 Jun 01.

-Kevin

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:12:39 -0400 (EDT)

> undertake the effort to advance this work,

and if I think that the WG should undertake the work?  :-)

this topic is one that has been talked about on and off from the very
begining of the bmwg effort - this ID seems to be a good start on 
aproaching the problem and worth working on.

Scott