Subject: [bmwg] OSPF Convergence draft-manral-ospfconv-intraarea-00

From: "Singh, Gurpreet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:28:24 -1000

In reference to the OSPF convergence draft. 

Flooding Time Measurement

 In the topology 2 

(1) What is the purpose of subtracting the time the LSA received by
Collector  directly from the Generator from the time the LSA packet is
received from Generator through the DUT. Is it to nullify the transmission
time.

Also for the flooding measurements, getting the two measurements would for
the last LSA packet and first LSA packet, would it give an indication of
flooding time.

I am not sue if i am interpretting it correctly.

Is it possible to measure the flooding measurement as follows.

(1) Measure time between the first LSA send by the generator and last packet
received by the collector on the Path between Generator and Collector.
(2) Measure the time between the first LSA send by the generator and last
packet received by the collector on the Path between Generator and Collector
through the DUT.

Subtracting (1) - (2) will give the flooding time for the LSA's taking care
of the transmission delays and LSA generation time by the generator.

Regards

Gurpreet

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: "Singh, Gurpreet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:30:55 -1000

Subtracting (1) from (2) in the previous e-mail.

-----Original Message-----
From: Singh, Gurpreet [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 2:28 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [bmwg] OSPF Convergence draft-manral-ospfconv-intraarea-00

 In the topology 2 

Regards

Gurpreet

---

From: "Singh, Gurpreet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:30:55 -1000

-----Original Message-----
From: Singh, Gurpreet [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 2:28 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [bmwg] OSPF Convergence draft-manral-ospfconv-intraarea-00

 In the topology 2 

Regards

Gurpreet

---

From: "Manral, Vishwas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 05:34:26 -0400

Hi Gurpreet,

Comments inline prefixed with a "VM>".

Thanks,
Vishwas

-----Original Message-----
From: Singh, Gurpreet [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 12:01 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [bmwg] OSPF Convergence draft-manral-ospfconv-intraarea-00

 In the topology 2 

VM> Yes, it is used to nullify transmission + propagation(to some extent)
delay.

VM> Gurpreet, we have tried to take all measurements on one device,
otherwise things like clock synchronizations between devices etc come into
play. To understand the exact limitations of "multi-device measurement",
please have a look at the terminology draft.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-manral-ospfconv-term-00.txt

We intend to correct a typo in the "flooding" test for the next version. (By
the way we have been working on the next version of the draft for quite some
time (based on all the comments we got on the list) and that can be expected
anytime soon.)

The second test will read in the next version

         o    The time between the last LSA is received on the collector
              from the generator and the time the "first" LSA is received
              on the collector from the DUT.

also the third point in the same test is meant to read 

         o    Inject a new set of LSAs from the generator towards the
              collector and the DUT.

and not from the generator to the generator. ;-)

Thanks again,
Vishwas

---

From: "Manral, Vishwas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 05:34:26 -0400

Hi Gurpreet,

Thanks,
Vishwas

-----Original Message-----
From: Singh, Gurpreet [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 12:01 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [bmwg] OSPF Convergence draft-manral-ospfconv-intraarea-00

 In the topology 2 

Thanks again,
Vishwas