Subject: RE: [bmwg] draft-ietf-bmwg-ospfconv-term-01.txt

From: "Manral, Vishwas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:09:50 -0500

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the comment and sorry for the delayed reply.

Well regarding the first comment I guess we have tried not to repeat
definitions in the OSPF RFC itself. The definitions we have given are more
in context of the methodology draft which I guess has been stated. However
if there are any contradictions we will  remove them.

Regarding the second comment, those values were put in more in response to a
comment that typical values used in production networks may be put in, into
the draft. Looking at that in perspective I feel that as such values change,
we could do without such things in the terminology draft itself.

Thanks,
Vishwas

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Petch [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 9:52 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: OSPF
Subject: [bmwg] draft-ietf-bmwg-ospfconv-term-01.txt

I believe that the terminology used in this document does not reflect
current OSPF practice.

A Broadcast Link is defined as

              Networks supporting many (more than two) attached
routers,
              together with the capability to address a single
physical
              message to all of the attached routers (broadcast). In
the
              context of [2] and [3], broadcast links are taken as
those
              on which a designated router is elected.

In practice, put together any pair of routers on a LAN (with broadcast
capability) and I expect to see a DR elected with its concomitant
Network LSA.  I appreciate that the wording comes from RFC2328 but
that document does later contradict itself with a reference to a DR
being elected on any broadcast or NBMA network with at least two
routers (ie two does quallify).

And for Hello Interval

              ... The
              typical hello interval is 10 seconds on broadcast net-
              works, and 30 seconds for point-to-multipoint and point-
              to-point networks.

RFC2328 suggests 10 second for LANs (broadcast or not) with 30 second
for X.25; taking X.25 as the paradign for WAN, this what I see.

I cross-post this to the OSPF list since this may provoke different
opinions.

Tom Petch
[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg