Subject: RE: [bmwg] IGP/Data-plane convergence proposal

From: Tony DeLaRosa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 07:41:35 -0700

I support this effort and recommend that the BMWG undertake this effort as a
WG deliverable.

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: Al Morton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 1:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [bmwg] IGP/Data-plane convergence proposal

BMWG,

Now that we have made significant progress toward completing the OSPF
Convergence I-Ds, it has been proposed that the BMWG support a new work item
relative to 3 individually-submitted I-Ds, titled:

"Benchmarking Applicability for IGP Route Convergence"
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-poretsky-igp-convergence-app-00.tx
t
"Terminology for Benchmarking IGP Convergence"
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-poretsky-igp-convergence-term-00.t
xt
"Benchmarking Methodology for IGP Convergence"
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-poretsky-igp-convergence-meth-00.t
xt

Goal:

If undertaken by the WG, the objective is to produce applicability,
terminology, and methodology drafts that specify the benchmarking of IGP
convergence in routers and systems under test.  Route convergence is
assessed by active measurements of packet transfer, called data plane
measurements to distinguish them from measurements of the control plane.

Scope:

The focus of this effort is to benchmark the route convergence of Routers
running a link state IGP such as OSPF or ISIS.  Other routing protocols are
outside the scope of this effort.

Motivation:

Service Providers seek minimal IGP Convergence time, and that time is a key
metric of system/network design and router design. Network convergence time
may be improved through deployment of fast converging routers.

Network users consider packet loss a key service quality metric. Intervals
of high packet loss are externally observable events having direct impact on
their application performance. IGP Route Convergence time is a Direct
Measure of Quality (DMOQ) when benchmarking the data plane's ability to
support continuous flows.

For these reasons it is important to develop a standard methodology and
terminology for benchmarking router IGP convergence that measures
performance in the data plane. The applicability document describes all of
the factors that influence a convergence measurement, and how a purely black
box test can be designed to account for them.

Schedule:

If you wish to offer your thoughts as to whether the BMWG should or should
not undertake the effort as a WG deliverable, please email your comments to
this list or [email-masked] no later than 21 May 03.

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg
_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg