Subject: [bmwg] Question on 'Address Hash and Bit Stuffing Draft(04)'

From: "Jerry Perser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:41:58 -0800

David,

Section 4.2 Ethernet MAC Addresses, I assume that this applies to both 802.3
and 802.11 standards.  My question is how to handle 802.11 MAC addresses and
the fact that wireless clients can roam to different interfaces?

If my clients are stationary and do not hop between Access Points, I can map
the MAC address to an interface number of the test instrument.

In making an 802.11 roaming measurement, the client needs to have a single
MAC address, but will reside on 2 or more ports.  Would using the original
interface number of the test instrument suffice?

Curious to know since I am in the process of testing such a beast.

Jerry Perser.

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: David Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:49:50 -0800

> interface number of the test instrument suffice?

Good question. The goal of the "PP:PP" designation is to provide a 
trackable ID that doesn't change during the test. This makes 
troubleshooting easier by embedding the port number in every packet.

Since the (wired or wireless) test instrument's interface number remains 
static, we believe the interface number of the test instrument would 
suffice in this case.

We can add language in noting that:

a) PP:PP refers to the port number of both the DUT/SUT and the test 
instrument except in cases where the DUT/SUT's port ID may change; and

b) in such cases, PP:PP refers to the port number of the test instrument.

We hesitate to say simply that PP:PP refers to the test instrument 
interface alone because, at least in our experience, testers of DUT/SUTs 
  generally are oriented toward the DUT/SUT and not the test instrument 
as the "center of the universe."

This proposed fix would address cases where that center shifts, such as 
in wireless technologies involving roaming.

dn/tcp