Subject: [bmwg] Review of hash-stuffing-04.txt

From: Kevin Dubray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:19:12 -0500

I have received review input of the referenced I-D by Robert
Craig of Juniper. More detailed information was delivered directly to
the WG chairs and the editors.

Based on the review template, the reviewer expresses that: the
document is a useful benchmarking submission; that IPv4 techniques
can be extended to IPv6. The reviewer indicates that he been
incorporating several techniques proposed in the I-D for years -
he appreciates the formalization.

Technically, he feels the I-D would be made stronger if it
addressed the Test Payload structure:

"Missing from the discussion is the 'Test Payload' optionally inserted 
in the test frames by test equipment.  As measurements of any 
sophistication require the insertion of the test payload (latency, 
order, ability to distinguish easily test traffic and protocol 
traffic), most tests use it. The contents of this payload offer 
additional opportunities for stuffing to occur.  Typically, the payload 
contains a transmission timestamp and/or sequence number, test equipment 
port identifier and/or "stream" number, and a CRC over the contents of 
the test payload or test frame."

The reviewer would support advancement of the I-D, if the above were
better addressed. Lastly, a few editorial nits were pointed out to the
principals.

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg