Subject: [bmwg] Fwd: a plea to ID authors

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 21:59:44 -0400

BMWG editors, and any future editors,

Transport AD Lars Eggert passed some good advice to all of us below
(and Brian Carpenter endorsed this message today).

word to the wise, and all that...
Al

PS for the not yet fully IETF-indoctrinated, a DISCUSS comment
is a blocking comment, and a draft cannot be approved until
it is resolved with the AD who enters a DISCUSS vote.

>To: [email-masked]
>From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
>Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 17:16:36 -0400
>X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.749.3)
>Subject: a plea to ID authors
>List-Id: Working Group Chairs <wgchairs.ietf.org>
>
>Hi,
>
>draft-iesg-discuss-criteria-02 says in Section 3.2 that DISCUSSes
>should not be raised for "pedantic corrections to non-normative text"
>or "stylistic issues of any kind."
>
>Personal opinion follows:
>
>I'd like to ask you as WG chairs to remind authors and editors that
>spell-checking and proof-reading a draft before submitting it to the
>IESG is still a very good idea, even if there is no risk of getting a
>DISCUSS for not doing so.
>
>It is difficult to follow the technical content of a draft when
>constant misspellings, poor grammar, incomplete sentences, missing
>commas, etc. require frequent re-reading of sentences and paragraphs.
>A high rate of these things really distract the reader.
>
>Additionally, one starts to wonder about the technical quality and
>matureness of a draft if the authors couldn't even find the time to
>run a spell-checker once.
>
>Other nits (uncited/outdated references, boilerplate bugs, RFC2119
>keyword bugs, and much more) can also be easily found by running the
>latest version of the excellent idnits tool once before submission to
>the IESG.
>
>Finally, fixing all these things early - instead of letting the RFC
>editor deal with them - may actually improve publication times. So a
>copy-editing cycle before sending stuff off to the IESG may actually
>be a good investment.
>
>This stuff is easy to fix: Good tools exist on many platforms and for
>most draft production methods.
>
>Lars
>--
>Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories
>

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg