Subject: [bmwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Hash and Stuffing: Overlooked Factors in Network Device Benchmarking
	Author(s)	: D. Newman, T. Player
	Filename	: draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing-06.txt
	Pages		: 31
	Date		: 2006-9-29
	
Test engineers take pains to declare all factors that affect a given
measurement, including intended load, packet length, test duration,
and traffic orientation.  However, current benchmarking practice
overlooks two factors that have a profound impact on test results.
First, existing methodologies do not require the reporting of
addresses or other test traffic contents, even though these fields
can affect test results.  Second, "stuff" bits and bytes inserted in
test traffic by some link-layer technologies add significant and
variable overhead, which in turn affects test results.  This document
describes the effects of these factors; recommends guidelines for
test traffic contents; and offers formulas for determining the
probability of bit- and byte-stuffing in test traffic.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing-06.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: David Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:42:34 -0700

> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing-06.txt

Numerous editorial nits fixed throughout document. In addition:

Section 4.2
Changed ANDing of high-order byte in MAC address from OxFE
to 0xFC to clear high-order two bits, eliminating chance of generating
multicast and locally administered addresses.

Section 4.5
Changed text to specify that transport-layer port numbers
should be uniformly distributed.

Section 6
With input from security area directorate, added language
about variations in rand() functions among different programming
languages.

Appendix A
Added Diego Dugatkin and Jerry Perser to list of reviewers.
(Thanks!)

Appendix D
Added "Explicit Calculation of Bit Stuffing Overhead for
IPv6" with stuffing examples using IPv6 packets. In the examples we
used, stuffing overhead is 0.03 percent lower with IPv6 than IPv4 (1.55
percent vs. 1.58 percent, respectively).

dn/tcp