Subject: [bmwg] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-irtf-tmrg-tools-03.txt

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 20:05:58 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 10:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-irtf-tmrg-tools-03.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Tools for the Evaluation of Simulation and
Testbed Scenarios
	Author(s)	: S. Floyd, E. Kohler
	Filename	: draft-irtf-tmrg-tools-03.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 32
	Date		: 2006-12-15
	
This document describes tools for the evaluation of simulation and
    testbed scenarios used in research on Internet congestion control
    mechanisms.  We believe that research in congestion control
    mechanisms has been seriously hampered by the lack of good models
    underpinning analysis, simulation, and testbed experiments, and that
    tools for the evaluation of simulation and testbed scenarios can
    help in the construction of better scenarios, based on better
    underlying models.  One use of the tools described in this document
    is in comparing key characteristics of test scenarios with known
    characteristics from the diverse and ever-changing real world.
    Tools characterizing the aggregate traffic on a link include the
    distribution of per-packet round-trip times, the distribution of
    connection sizes, and the like.  Tools characterizing end-to-end
    paths include drop rates as a function of packet size and of burst
    size, the synchronization ratio between two end-to-end TCP flows,
    and the like.  For each characteristic, we describe what aspects of
    the scenario determine this characteristic, how the characteristic
    can affect the results of simulations and experiments for the
    evaluation of congestion control mechanisms, and what is known about
    this characteristic in the real world.  We also explain why the use
    of such tools can add considerable power to our understanding and
    evaluation of simulation and testbed scenarios.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-tmrg-tools-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-irtf-tmrg-tools-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-irtf-tmrg-tools-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg