Subject: [bmwg] RFC 2544 routing update question

From: "K.Vairamuthu Muthu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 03:22:34 +0000

Hi

  I am developing a RFC 2544 compilant test suite to benchmark an IP
network having multiple routers and bridges. I have a few questions on
the RFC 2544 routing update and multiple protocol address for my better
understanding. I really appreciate your reply.

My basic question is

"Does the test suite need to support routing update and multiple
address for test case to be compilant with RFC 2544."

Following are the few other questions on this related topic.

Section 11.3 Routing update frame
  1. The RFC says
   " The stream of test frames SHOULD be augmented with one routing
update
    frame transmitted as the first frame transmitted during the trial."
The first frame sets the routing table    state to "A", the second one
changes the state to "B".  The frames
    MUST be alternated during the trial. "

Question: If the test suite does not support the routing update, then
it is conditionally compilant with RFC 2544. But if the   frames are
not alternated during the trail, then it is not compilant.Is it possible
to alternate the path of the  frames during trail without routing
update. If no, does it mean that routing update MUST be supported to
compilant  with RFC 2544.

Section 13. Route Set Up
     It is not reasonable that all of the routing information necessary
to  forward the test stream, especially in the  multiple address case,
will be manually set up.  At the start of each trial a routing update
MUST be sent to the DUT.  This routing update MUST include all of the
network addresses that will be required for the trial.

  Question: If test suite uses a single address  pair for test stream
then it is conditionally compilant. For a single address pair it is not
necessary for the test suite to support routing update. Does it mean
the routing update is MUST only in case of multiple address.

Thanks a lot.
  K.Vairamuthu

_________________________________________________________________
Connect with your friends who use Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Click! 
http://www.msnspecials.in/wlmyahoo/index.asp

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg