Subject: [bmwg] Thoughts on draft-vapiwala-bmwg-rsvpte-convergence-motivation-01.txt

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 19:45:02 +0100

Hi,

I have been reading draft-vapiwala-bmwg-rsvpte-convergence-motivation-01.txt 
and have some thoughts.

First, I think it might be wise to socialise your work with the MPLS working 
group who (presumably) have some interest in this subject.

It may be obvious in the context of the BMWG, but I struggled to understand 
what "convergence" applied to. Normally, I think, convergence applies to the 
process of the information stored on a particular node (or all nodes in the 
network) reaching stability that reflects the distributed state of the 
network. Thus IGP convergence. In the context of MPLS-TE I might have 
expected you to be discussing the convergence of the TE extensions to the 
IGP, but your I-D is very focused on RSVP-TE, and the explanation of 
"convergence" in your context doesn't really come out until the performance 
cases in section 4.

Section 3 should include consideration of RSVP Hellos.

Section 3.1 It is very good to mention refresh reduction, but without 
mentioning soft state refresh, the context is lost.

I am unsure what the objective of section 5 is. I would caution you against 
allowing anything that could be construed as marketing information from 
creeping in. The problem of defining an apple before trying to compare it 
with another apple seems not to have been addressed.

I think section 6 needs some more thought. One of the things you suggest 
measuring is the performance impact of applying RSVP security. At the least, 
you should caution against security being sacrificed for performance.

You might like to reference (or at least glance at 
draft-yasukawa-mpls-scaling-analysis-04.txt).

Nits
---
Filename header
/-convergece-/-convergence-/
---
Abstract
s/compliments/complements/
---
Section 1
s/providers achieve/providers to achieve/
s/in proportional/in proportion/
s/This high-availability/Because of these high-availability/

Cheers,
Adrian 

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg