Subject: [bmwg] FYI - Draft PMOL Charter for discussion (on [email-masked])

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:26:14 -0400

BMWG - FYI

Here's the initial draft of the PMOL charter.
Please post any comments on [email-masked]

Al

Proposed Charter (0.0)

Performance Metrics at Other Layers WG (PMOL)

There are often uncertainties about the performance and
suitability of new technologies and applications for their intended
audience, and the Internet is no exception. Most uncertainties are
effectively addressed through quantified assessment of key performance
indicators.  Standardized performance metrics add the desirable features
of consistent implementation, interpretation, and comparison.

Although the IETF has two Working Groups dedicated to the development
of performance metrics, they each have strict limitations in their
charters:

  - The Benchmarking Methodology WG has addressed a range of networking
technologies and protocols in their long history (such as IEEE 802.3,
ATM, Frame Relay, and Routing Protocols), but the charter strictly
limits their performance characterizations to the laboratory environment.

  - The IP Performance Metrics WG has the mandate to develop metrics
applicable to live IP networks, but it is specifically prohibited from
developing metrics that characterize traffic (such as a VoIP stream).

The IETF also has current and completed activities related to the
reporting of application performance metrics (e.g. RAQMON) and is
also actively involved in the development of reliable transport
protocols which would affect the relationship between IP performance
and application performance.

Thus there is a gap in the currently chartered coverage of IETF WGs:
development of performance metrics for IP-based applications that
operate over UDP, TCP, SCTP, DCCP, Forward Error Correction (FEC)
and other robust transport protocols, and that can be used to
characterize traffic on live networks.

The working group will focus on the completion of two RFCs:

1. A PMOL framework and guidelines memo that includes the motivation
    of work to define performance metrics for applications transported
    on IETF-specified protocols, and how that work fills a need and a gap
    in IETF-chartered work. The framework will describe the necessary
    elements of performance metric drafts and the various types of metrics
    that may be prepared in this work. The framework will also address the
    need to specify the intended audience and the motivation for the
    performance metrics. There will also be guidelines for a performance
    metric development process that includes entry criteria for
    new proposals (how a proposal might be evaluated for possible
    endorsement by a protocol development working group), and how a
    successful proposal will be developed by PMOL WG in cooperation with a
    protocol development WG.

2. A proof-of-concept RFC defining performance metrics for SIP, based on
    draft-malas-performance-metrics.  This memo would serve as an example of
    the framework and the PMOL development process in the IETF.

Discussion of new work proposals is strongly discouraged in the PMOL
WG, except to advise a protocol development WG when they are evaluating
a new work proposal for related performance metrics.

The PMOL WG will also be guided by a document describing how memos
defining performance metrics are intended to advance along the IETF
Standards track (draft-bradner-metricstest).

Milestones
June 08  SIP Performance Metrics Draft to AD Review
Sept 08  PMOL Framework and Guidelines Draft to AD Review

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg