Subject: [bmwg] IPsec terminology and methodology drafts

From: Merike Kaeo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:08:22 -0800

Hello...

Apologies for not being at last meeting but I had a conflict with  
another meeting.  I had a conf call with my co-author today and we  
are all set with the last rev of the methodology draft which will get  
submitted in next day.  We are adding editorial corrections and some  
minor text to finalize the methodology draft which should get  
submitted if not this week, then next.  We had received some very  
good feedback from private email and of course have incorporated the  
comments we received in last 5 months.

I did hear that there was some discussion during the meeting as to  
whether IKEv1 was still relevant since IKEv2 obsoletes it.

I asked a few folks in the hallways who assured me that this was  
definitely not the case.....other drafts in working groups that  
reference IKEv1 are still going through.  Also, while it is  
recognized that vendors need to get on the ball to support IKEv2  
there are limited shipping products.  I know this first-hand since I  
am following what both the ICSA IPsec consortium and VPNC are doing  
(and was part of an IKEv2 interoperability bakeoff this past march).

Remember that IKEv2 is NOT backwards compatible with IKEv1 so it will  
not be an easy migration that will happen overnight.  IKEv1 will  
still be relevant for a long time.  I personally am a proponent of  
IKEv2, especially when it comes to IPv6 implementations.  And I have  
for months promised a separate IKEv2 draft which I have just started  
on.   It will be a document that addresses only the IKE-relevant  
tests and includes additional terminology that is warranted for IKEv2  
specific concerns.

It is my hope that all these next iterations of the existing IPsec  
bmwg docs will be complete enough for last call.

- merike 

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg