Subject: [bmwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bmwg-protection-term-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 16:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Benchmarking Terminology for Protection Performance
	Author(s)	: S. Poretsky
	Filename	: draft-ietf-bmwg-protection-term-05.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 2008-11-3
	
This document provides common terminology and metrics for benchmarking 
  the performance of sub-IP layer protection mechanisms. The performance 
  benchmarks are measured at the IP-Layer, avoiding dependence on 
  specific sub-IP protection mechanisms. The benchmarks and terminology 
  can be applied in methodology documents for different sub-IP layer 
  protection mechanisms such as Automatic Protection Switching (APS), 
  Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP), Stateful High Availability 
  (HA), and Multi-Protocol Label Switching Fast Reroute (MPLS-FRR).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-protection-term-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: "Scott Poretsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:21:40 +0200

Hello BMWG-ers,

Here are the updates to the terminology document "Benchmarking
Terminology for Protection Performance".

1. Updated Introduction to have a separate Scope and General Model
sub-sections
2. Added comment differentiating a Failover Event from the IGP
Convergence Event 
3. Added comments that terms can apply for a backup tunnel that protects
multiple primary tunnels and methodologies can apply terms to perform
benchmarks with single or multiple flows
4. Updated Existing definitions section, including the note that terms
introduced in this document are capitalized when used in the Definition
and Discussion section of other terms.
5. Clarified definitions of terms "PLR" and "Headend".  This was the
number one issue of comment on the mailing list and in recent meetings.
Here are the new definitions.

   3.1.9. Point of Local Repair (PLR) 
         Definition: 
         A node capable of Failover along the Primary Path that is 
         also the ingress node for the Backup Path to protect another 
         node or link.

         Discussion: 
         Any node along the Primary Path from the ingress node to 
         the penultimate egress node MAY be a PLR.  The PLR MAY use 
         a single Backup Path for protecting one or more Primary 
         Paths.  There can be multiple PLRs along a Primary Path. 
         The PLR MUST be an ingress to a Backup Path.  The PLR can 
         be any node along the Primary Path except the egress node 
         of the Primary Path.  The PLR MAY simultaneously be a 
         Headend Node when it is serving the role as ingress to 
         the Primary Path and the Backup Path.  If the PLR is 
         also the Headend Node, then the Backup Path is a Disjoint 
         Path from the ingress to the Merge Node.  

   3.4.3.  Headend Node 
        Definition:  
        The ingress node of the Primary Path.  

        Discussion:      
        The Headend Node may also be a PLR when it is serving in 
        the dual role as the ingress to the Backup Path.     

6. Added clarification that Failover Time calculated with either the
Time-Based Loss Method (TBLM) or Timestamp-Based Method (TBM)
uses Equation 2 TBLM Failover Time = Time(Failover) - Time(Failover
Event), but TBLM obtains the time values from the Tester internal clock
and TBM obtains the time values from the timestamps in the packet
payloads.
7. Editorial changes including formatting and grammar 
8. Updated Author addresses and references

Thanks,
Author Team

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 7:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [bmwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bmwg-protection-term-05.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group
of the IETF.

	Title		: Benchmarking Terminology for Protection
Performance
	Author(s)	: S. Poretsky
	Filename	: draft-ietf-bmwg-protection-term-05.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 2008-11-3

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-protection-term-05.t
xt