Subject: [bmwg] Descriptive paragraph on flow export benchmarking

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:02:21 -0500

BMWG,

At our interim meeting, we suspended the discussion of flow export
benchmarking with the goals to work out how we would include this
work in our charter and reach consensus on the detailed discussion
points raised.

To get things going again, let me suggest a starting paragraph to
describe this work area (below) for future re-chartering.

To pick-up where the discussion stopped, please see the meeting notes
http://home.comcast.net/~acmacm/BMWG/BMWG-Int-Meet.html
(see item 2. in the Detailed Notes)

Please make your comments on the bmwg-list.

regards,
Al
bmwg chair

* Flow Export and Collection: Develop terms and methods to characterize the
both the flow monitoring characteristics of network devices.
The goal is a methodology to assess the maximum IP flow rate that a
network device can sustain without reducing the performance of the forwarding
plane (in the case of multipurpose routing and monitoring devices), and
without losing any IP flow information or compromising the accuracy of
information exported on the IP flows.