Subject: Re: [bmwg] I-D Action:draft-asati-bmwg-reset-01.txt

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:43:44 -0500

BMWG,
please take a look at this draft!
Al
bmwg chair

Reset-draft authors,

I read the latest version, and have a few comments that
I hope you'll find useful.

Al
(as a participant)

At 03:00 PM 12/15/2009, [email-masked] wrote:
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>         Title           : Device Reset Characterization
>         Author(s)       : R. Asati, et al.
>         Filename        : draft-asati-bmwg-reset-01.txt
>         Pages           : 14
>         Date            : 2009-12-15
>
>A forwarding device may get reset (automatically or manually) and
>subsequently may experience an outage. It is deemed useful to know
>how long a device would take to recover after such an event.
>
>Moreover, there are varieties of reset triggers each deserving
>special attention. Hence, clarity and consistency in reset
>procedures (above and beyond what's specified in RFC2544) are
>crucial to derive the meaningful results.
>
>This document specifies a methodology for characterizing reset
>during benchmarking of forwarding devices, and provides clarity and
>consistency in reset procedures beyond what's specified in RFC2544.
>It therefore updates RFC2544.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-asati-bmwg-reset-01.txt

Abstract (and similar paragraphs (1 and 4) of the Intro):

Suggest replace 2 sentences with:
An operational forwarding device may need to be re-configured or re-started
for a variety of reasons, an event that we call a "reset" in this draft.
Since there may be an interruption in the forwarding operation during
a reset, it is useful to know how long a device takes to begin
forwarding packets again.

Next paragraph in Abstract:
s/procedures/test procedures/

Section 3, last paragraph:
s/rests/resets/

OLD
3.1. Hardware Reset

    To characterize the speed at which a DUT recovers from the hardware
    reset.

    A "hardware reset" generally involves the re-initialization of one
    or more physical components in the DUT.

Suggest:
3.1. Hardware Reset

A test designed to characterize the time it takes a DUT to recover
from the hardware reset.

    A "hardware reset" generally involves the re-initialization of one
    or more physical components in the DUT,
...but not the entire DUT.
Usually some specific component is reset.

3.1, last paragraph:
the term "monolithic routers" may not mean the same to everyone,
can you say this more precisely?

3.1.1.1. RP Failure for single RP device (mandatory)
...
    Procedure:
...
      Traffic needs to be flowing at this stage and has to have been up
      running for at least 15 seconds before any test activities are
      performed.

Traffic level should be at RFC 2544 Throughput load?
from RFC 2544:
    Procedure:  First determine the throughput for the DUT for the
    minimum frame size on the media used in the testing.

...
    Reporting format

      The reset results are reported in a simple statement including the
      packet loss and recovery times.

We need to specify units of measure in this section:
loss, in packets
THPT, in packets per second
time, in seconds, with sufficient resolution to convey meaningful info

ALSO - Repeatability considerations from Section 4 of RFC2544 need to be
applied here (referenced).  Probably perform multiple trials and
report averages?

(these same comments apply to the sections on Software reset and
Power Interruption)

---

From: Carlos Pignataro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:56:22 -0500

Al,

Many thanks for your review and comments, they are definitely useful !

Ack to all your comments and suggestions. We will be incorporating them
and producing a new revision.

Thanks,

-- Carlos.

On 1/13/2010 3:43 PM, Al Morton wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> bmwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg
>

---

From: Carlos Pignataro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:09:09 -0500

BMWG,

We submitted an updated revision of this I-D addressing Al's comments
below, and including some additional text from Fernando.

Please see <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-asati-bmwg-reset-02>.

We seek more reviews from the WG, please let us know.

Thanks,

-- Carlos.