Subject: [bmwg] Brief Chair's comment on igp-dataplane-conv-term-20

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:56:17 -0400

Hi Kris,

A new term was added in -20:

>3.7.7.  Forwarding Delay Threshold
>
>    Definition:
>
>    The maximum Forwarding Delay for a packet to be accepted.
>
>    Discussion:
>
>    Applying a Forwarding Delay Threshold allows to consider packets with
>    a too large Forwarding Delay as being lost, as is required for some
>    applications (e.g. voice, video, etc.).  The Forwarding Delay
>    Threshold is a parameter of the methodology, if it is applied it MUST
>    be reported.

This is a very useful term, and I agree we should specify it when used.

But, we have to avoid any possibility that our metrics or thresholds
could be interpreted as "acceptance levels".  Thus a slight re-wording
of this definition can specify what's needed and avoid mis-interpretation.

I suggest:

3.7.7.  Forwarding Delay Threshold

    Definition:

    The maximum waiting time threshold used to distinguish between
    packets with very long delay and lost packets that will never
    arrive.

I consider this a "chair's comment" because I'm enforcing our charter.
We can take care of this after the next WGLC,
Al
bmwg chair