Subject: [bmwg] BMWG power measurement

From: Vishwas Manral <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 13:53:53 -0700

Hi,

Please post this new draft to the list.

Thanks,
Vishwas

---

From: "Scott Poretsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 05:41:04 +0300

Couple of questions.... Is power consumption measurement within the
domain of the IETF?  Should this have been submitted as a BMWG
submission or a personal submission?

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Vishwas Manral
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [bmwg] BMWG power measurement

Hi,

Thanks,
Vishwas

---

From: Vishwas Manral <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 20:28:21 -0700

Hi Scott,

I intended to post it to "internet-drafts" saying they may want to
post it to [email-masked]. I mistakenly sent it to this list
instead.

To give a top level overview of the draft. Though the idea of this
draft is that with about 40% of data center costs on power/ cooling
etc, it has become critical to reduce power usage of devices. To do
optimizations the first step is to actually have a way to benchmark
various power measurements on devices and we have also defined the
NECR metrics for the same.

The other thing is that operators need to have some standard way to
compare devices and their efficiency related to power. We have defined
a mertics NEPI for the same.

As the idea of this draft is measurement of power related to network
parameters it probably falls within the perview of the IETF -
especially the NECR. We intend to use this in intelligent ways in the
network in the future works in other working groups.

Tests have been done using the methodology on networking equipment of
various vendors. This work has been done in conjunction with folks
from HP and Deutche Telecom besides others.

Any comments from you are especially welcome.

Thanks,
Vishwas

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 13:49:15 +0200

To the first question - there is already proposed work in the IETF in
this space - soon to be adopted by the OPSAWG - see
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-quittek-power-mib-01.txt for example. 

To the second question the answer is certainly 'personal submission' For
BMWG to adopt it as a WG I-D, the wg needs to recharter to include this
item, and to agree this is a good enough I-D to start from. 

Regards,

Dan

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Scott Poretsky
> Sent: Monday, May 17, 2010 5:41 AM
> To: Vishwas Manral; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [bmwg] BMWG power measurement
> 
> Couple of questions.... Is power consumption measurement 
> within the domain of the IETF?  Should this have been 
> submitted as a BMWG submission or a personal submission?
> 
> Scott
> 
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Vishwas Manral
> _______________________________________________
> bmwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg
>

---

From: Vishwas Manral <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 09:37:14 -0700

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the input regarding the MIB. This is something we have
proposed as future work in the paper. It is good to see this is
already being done.

Maybe the MIB can be used to get parameters like NECR and others
defined. I will mail the authors regarding the same.

Thanks,
Vishwas