Subject: Re: [bmwg] WGLC: draft-ietf-bmwg-reset-00

From: Carlos Pignataro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 05:03:12 -0400

Al,

Again, many thanks for your comments ! We believe that we address all of
these (as well as previous WGLC comments from Andrew Yourtchenko) in
draft-ietf-bmwg-reset-01.txt that was just submitted. Consequently, the
document is much improved, thanks !

Thanks,

-- Carlos.

Excerpts from Al Morton on 6/29/2010:
> As a participant, my comments follow.
> 
> Good draft, a little more to do.
> Al

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 08:39:25 -0400

Another reminder, there's still time to comment...

At 03:32 PM 6/29/2010, Al Morton wrote:
>At 05:58 PM 6/16/2010, Al Morton wrote:
>>... This message begins the First WG Last call on the corresponding draft:
>>
>>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bmwg-reset-00
>>
>>The Last Call will end on July 21, 2010,
>
>As Chair, I'm reminding active bmwg'ers to queue this up
>on their reading list in the next few weeks and provide
>feedback.

---

From: "Timmons C. Player" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:00:36 -0400

> Another reminder, there's still time to comment...

Howdy, all!  This comment applies to both versions, but I'm using the 
section numbers from 01.

This draft repeats the following comment several times (In section 
4.1.1.1, 4.1.1.2, 4.1.2, 4.2.1, 4.2.2, and 4.3.1):

      Modern traffic generators support the feature of transmitting
      packets while ignoring the link status. The operator / tester MUST
      ensure that this feature is enabled

I'm going to be snarky and say that really modern traffic generators can 
measure this interval directly without counting phantom test frames.

The real point here is that I don't think any methodology needs to 
specify explicitly how the test tool should make a measurement.  For 
time based measurements especially, it really only needs to specify the 
goal posts for starting and stopping.  As long as the test equipment 
complies with the goal posts, it can make the measurement in all sorts 
of creative ways, including methods not forseen by the authors of the draft.

If we take this document as written, then only test tools that claim 
they transmitted a frame when they really didn't can perform this 
methodology, and that behavior strikes me as broken (though I do 
understand the intention behind it).

Timmons