Subject: [bmwg] Comments on draft-baker-bmwg-testing-eyeball-happiness-00

From: "Gary Yang (gayang)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:29:39 +0800

Fred,
One question: Instead of configuring the disruption, what about
measuring (approaching) the delay by "real word disruption" ? 

The setup time is as worst as 40 second "heard" so far and needs to be
measured to index the real eyeball happiness cost. An experiment of
calling socket.getaddrinfo(www.python.org, 80, 0, 0, socket.SOL_TCP)
returns "2002:888:2000:d::a2" and "82.94.164,162" is played, both are
legitimate interface, so the "socket.connect" immediately returns in
this case.
Instead of using the legitimate address, a "problematic" IPv6 address
used by socket.connect() will generate latency. "Problematic" means
"real world disruption" affecting and producing abnormal delays. Of
course, we don't know the set of "problematic" address, but we can
script socket.connect(xxx) in a loop with parameters "xxx" randomly
selected from the IPv6 address pool, and recording the connect(xxx)
return time in each loop instance. The average and 2nd derivations on
those anomalies will be very close to eyeball cost. Given enough of time
to run the script, it should discover the real world disruption areas,
and reflect the real user happiness during the IPv6 transition.

-gary