Subject: [bmwg] I-D Action:draft-ietf-bmwg-reset-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 05:45:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Device Reset Characterization
	Author(s)       : R. Asati, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bmwg-reset-06.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2010-12-23

An operational forwarding device may need to be re-started
(automatically or manually) for a variety of reasons, an event that
we call a "reset" in this document. Since there may be an
interruption in the forwarding operation during a reset, it is
useful to know how long a device takes to resume the forwarding
operation.

This document specifies a methodology for characterizing reset (and
reset time) during benchmarking of forwarding devices, and provides
clarity and consistency in reset test procedures beyond what's
specified in RFC2544. It therefore updates RFC2544. This document
also defines the benchmarking term "Reset Time" and only in this
updates RFC1242.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-reset-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 09:18:01 -0500

BMWG,

IESG review and consideration of their comments revealed
an omission that has existed for a long time: The "reset value"
in RFC 2544 was not supported by a definition in RFC 1242
(section 3.14 Restart Behavior addressed the topic, but
was not tightly worded such that questions raised during
IESG review could be quickly resolved).

As a result, -reset-06 defines a benchmark, Reset Time,
and therefore updates RFC 1242 as well.  This is a Last Call
for BMWG comments on the draft with the changes resulting
from IESG review. Differences among the various revisions:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/bmwg/draft-ietf-bmwg-reset/

Comments to me and/or the list by January 14th, 2011.

regards,
Al
bmwg chair

At 08:45 AM 12/23/2010, [email-masked] wrote:
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-reset-06.txt>
>_______________________________________________
>bmwg mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg