Subject: [bmwg] Two new Individual Drafts posted

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 10:59:21 -0500

BMWG,

Two Individual Drafts of interest to BMWG have been posted.
Both topics were discussed and benefit from comments
expressed at the Beijing meeting.

FYI and comment (please change the subject if you do),
Al
bmwg chair

====================================================================
Filename:	draft-morton-bmwg-imix-genome
Revision:	01
Title:		IMIX Genome: Specification of variable packet sizes for 
additional testing
Creation_date:	2011-02-04
WG ID:		Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 8

Abstract:
Benchmarking Methodologies have always relied on test conditions with
constant packet sizes, with the goal of understanding what network
device capability has been tested.  Tests with constant packet size
reveal device capabilities but differ significantly from the
conditions encountered in operational deployment, and so additional
tests are sometimes conducted with a mixture of packet sizes, or
"IMIX".  The mixture of sizes a networking device will encounter is
highly variable and depends on many factors.  An IMIX suited for one
networking device and deployment will not be appropriate for another.
However, the mix of sizes may be known and the tester may be asked to
augment the fixed size tests.  To address this need, and the
perpetual goal of specifying repeatable test conditions, this draft
defines a way to specify the exact repeating sequence of packet sizes
from the usual set of fixed sizes, and other forms of mixed size
specification.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-morton-bmwg-imix-genome-01.txt

=========================================================================
Filename:	draft-chairs-bmwg-2544-as
Revision:	00
Title:		RFC 2544 Applicability Statement: Use on Real-World Networks 
Considered Harmful
Creation_date:	2011-02-04
WG ID:		Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 8

Abstract:
Benchmarking Methodology Working Group (BMWG) has been developing key
performance metrics and laboratory test methods since 1990, and
continues this work at present.  Recent application of the methods
beyond their intended scope is cause for concern.  This memo
clarifies the scope of RFC 2544 and other benchmarking work for the
IETF community.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chairs-bmwg-2544-as-00.txt