Subject: Re: [bmwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-01.txt

From: "Aamer Akhter (aakhter)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 07:10:08 -0500

Al,

Just following up on the quick discussion on the live meeting at IETF-83
regarding the creation of a representative the IMIX:

	A cntrl+f search against CAIDA didn't turn up any matches.
Perhaps this got lost in the editing

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-01.txt
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 06:07:04 -0800
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]
Newsgroups: gmane.ietf.announce,gmane.ietf.bmwg

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories. This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IMIX Genome: Specification of variable packet
sizes 
for additional testing
	Author(s)       : Al Morton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-01.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2012-01-08

    Benchmarking Methodologies have always relied on test conditions
with
    constant packet sizes, with the goal of understanding what network
    device capability has been tested.  Tests with constant packet size
    reveal device capabilities but differ significantly from the
    conditions encountered in operational deployment, and so additional
    tests are sometimes conducted with a mixture of packet sizes, or
    "IMIX".  The mixture of sizes a networking device will encounter is
    highly variable and depends on many factors.  An IMIX suited for one
    networking device and deployment will not be appropriate for
another.
    However, the mix of sizes may be known and the tester may be asked
to
    augment the fixed size tests.  To address this need, and the
    perpetual goal of specifying repeatable test conditions, this draft
    defines a way to specify the exact repeating sequence of packet
sizes
    from the usual set of fixed sizes, and other forms of mixed size
    specification.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-01.txt

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:23:09 -0400

At 08:10 AM 3/27/2012, Aamer Akhter (aakhter) wrote:

Al,

Just following up on the quick discussion on the live meeting at
IETF-83

A cntrl+f
search against CAIDA didn't turn up any matches.

Turns out that the CAIDA study is an indirect Reference, see
below:

1.  Introduction

...

Streams of constant packet size differ significantly from
the

conditions encountered in operational deployment, and so
additional

tests are sometimes conducted with a mixture of packet
sizes.  The

set of sizes used is often called an Internet Mix, or
"IMIX"

[Spirent], [IXIA], [Agilent].

The mixture of sizes a networking device will encounter is
highly

variable and depends on many factors.  An IMIX suited
for one

However, the mix of sizes may be known and the tester may be
asked to

augment the fixed size tests.  The references above
cite the original

studies and their methodologies - similar methods can be
used to

determine new size mixes.

hope that does it,

Al