Subject: [bmwg] Document Action: 'Methodology for Benchmarking MPLS-TE Fast Reroute Protection' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-bmwg-protection-meth-14.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 10:54:51 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Methodology for Benchmarking MPLS-TE Fast Reroute Protection'
  (draft-ietf-bmwg-protection-meth-14.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ronald Bonica and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-protection-meth/

      Technical Summary
Service providers and testing organizations need to benchmark the
performance of network protection mechanisms. The BMWG took-up this work
and defined a general terminology and set of benchmarks in RFC 6414.
This memo describes the methodology for benchmarking MPLS Protection
mechanisms for link and node protection. It provides test methodologies
and test setups for measuring failover times while considering all
dependencies that might impact the recovery of real-time applications
carried in MPLS-based traffic engineered tunnels.
The test procedures in this document cover local failure or remote failure
scenarios for comprehensive benchmarking and to evaluate failover
performance independent of the failure detection techniques.

      Working Group Summary
This memo has been developed over a period of 8 years, beginning with the
merger of two independent efforts, then narrowing of the scope to become a
working group draft, followed by many reviews and WGLCs.
The WG reached consensus on this memo years ago, but it was agreed to
hold this draft until the IGP-Dataplane Benchmarking was completed.
Another WGLC was held in December 2011, and there were no additional
comments.

      Document Quality
The reviews and suggestions of Jean Philip Vasseur, Curtis Villamizar, and
Bhavani Parise are acknowledged.

  Personnel

Al Morton is document shepherd.