Subject: [bmwg] Document Action: 'IMIX Genome: Specification of variable packet sizes for additional testing' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:36:01 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IMIX Genome: Specification of variable packet sizes for additional
   testing'
  (draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-04.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Joel Jaeggli and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome/

Technical Summary

   Benchmarking Methodologies have always relied on test conditions with
   constant packet sizes, with the goal of understanding what network
   device capability has been tested.  Tests with constant packet size
   reveal device capabilities but differ significantly from the
   conditions encountered in operational deployment, and so additional
   tests are sometimes conducted with a mixture of packet sizes, or
   "IMIX".  The mixture of sizes a networking device will encounter is
   highly variable and depends on many factors.  An IMIX suited for one
   networking device and deployment will not be appropriate for another.
   However, the mix of sizes may be known and the tester may be asked to
   augment the fixed size tests.  To address this need, and the
   perpetual goal of specifying repeatable test conditions, this draft
   defines a way to specify the exact repeating sequence of packet sizes
   from the usual set of fixed sizes, and other forms of mixed size

Working Group Summary

WG Consensus was smooth after development over a reasonable period of time.

Document Quality

There are many implementations of various test equipment that use IMIX. 

Personnel

Who is the Document Shepherd?  Lucien Avramov
Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Joel Jaeggli

---

From: joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:52:39 -0700

Thanks guys.

They should all be this easy to sponsor.

joel

On 6/3/13 12:36 PM, The IESG wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> bmwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg
>

---

From: "MORTON JR., ALFRED C (AL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 15:55:30 -0400

Hey Joel,  we agreed to several changes that have only appeared in 
a preliminary version (the diffs I sent to Benoit in reply to comments).

I need to upload the revised version ASAP, I suppose...
Al

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> The IESG
> Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 3:36 PM
> To: IETF-Announce
> Cc: bmwg chair; bmwg mailing list; RFC Editor
> Subject: [bmwg] Document Action: 'IMIX Genome: Specification of variable
> packet sizes for additional testing' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-
> bmwg-imix-genome-04.txt)
>

---

From: joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 13:33:42 -0700

> I need to upload the revised version ASAP, I suppose...
yes

---

From: "MORTON JR., ALFRED C (AL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 17:05:44 -0400

I just checked the IESG evaluation record, and there are a few
more comments I'll try to include in the revision.

> From: joel jaeggli [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 4:34 PM
> To: MORTON JR., ALFRED C (AL); Benoit Claise
> Cc: bmwg chair; bmwg mailing list
> Subject: Re: [bmwg] Document Action: 'IMIX Genome: Specification of
> variable packet sizes for additional testing' to Informational RFC (draft-
> ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-04.txt)
>

---

From: joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 14:15:30 -0700

> more comments I'll try to include in the revision.
I've put it in ad followup needed.

if you're going to do another edit please do so quickly.

---

From: "MORTON JR., ALFRED C (AL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 17:19:22 -0400

ok 

please remind fellow ADs to include authors on their comment/discuss e-mails,
so we don't have to go check the evaluation record.

Al

> Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 5:16 PM
> >>>>      However, the mix of sizes may be known and the tester may be
> asked
> >> to