Subject: [bmwg] RFC 6985 on IMIX Genome: Specification of Variable Packet Sizes for Additional Testing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:23:30 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6985

        Title:      IMIX Genome: Specification of Variable 
                    Packet Sizes for Additional Testing 
        Author:     A. Morton
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 19782
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6985.txt

Benchmarking methodologies have always relied on test conditions with
constant packet sizes, with the goal of understanding what network
device capability has been tested.  Tests with a constant packet size
reveal device capabilities but differ significantly from the
conditions encountered in operational deployment, so additional tests
are sometimes conducted with a mixture of packet sizes, or "IMIX"
("Internet Mix").  The mixture of sizes a networking device will
encounter is highly variable and depends on many factors.  An IMIX
suited for one networking device and deployment will not be
appropriate for another.  However, the mix of sizes may be known, and
the tester may be asked to augment the fixed-size tests.  To address
this need and the perpetual goal of specifying repeatable test
conditions, this document defines a way to specify the exact
repeating sequence of packet sizes from the usual set of fixed sizes
and from other forms of mixed-size specification.

This document is a product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC