Subject: [bmwg] Initial re-chartering discussion

From: "MORTON JR., ALFRED C (AL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 18:04:31 -0400

BMWG,

Most participants are familiar with the various future work proposals,
some have been refining their proposal for quite some time and others
are relatively new. Re-chartering entails a bit of overhead for everyone,
especially our AD advisor Joel, and so we'd like to re-charter once every
few years and then focus on completing the work in between.

With some proposals seeing strong interest while others are seeking that state,
it appears we will be building our new charter proposal one item at a time.
The Traffic Management Benchmarking proposal is one with clear interest,
so we'll begin discussion of the specific item text that would become
part of our next charter (see below for the initial draft text).
We will discuss other items as they gather support, and consider the status
of current items on the charter, as well.

All contributions to the list, please, and we will hopefully close on this
(and other items) shortly after our Berlin session.

thanks for your participation,
Sarah and Al
bmwg co-chairs

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

* Traffic Management: Develop the methods to characterize the capacity of
traffic management features in network devices, such as classification, 
policing, shaping, and active queue management. 
Existing terminology will be used where appropriate.
Configured operation will be verified as a part of the methodology.   
The goal is a methodology to assess the maximum forwarding performance that a
network device can sustain without dropping or impairing packets, or
compromising the accuracy of multiple instances of traffic management
functions. This is the benchmark for comparison between devices.
Another goal is to devise methods that utilize flows with congestion-aware 
transport as part of the traffic load and still produce repeatable results in
the isolated test environment.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-