Subject: [bmwg] I-D IPv6 transition technologies benchmarking

From: "Marius Georgescu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 13:07:51 +0900

Dear BMWG Members,

My name is Marius Georgescu and I am a graduate student at Nara Institute of
Science and Technology (NAIST) in Japan. My main research focus is IPv6
transition technologies benchmarking.  Recently I have been working on an
Internet draft which can be found here:

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-georgescu-ipv6-transition-tech-benchmarking-00.
txt

I hope to present the draft in the next BMWG meeting, in IETF91. In the
meantime, here is the summary of the draft. 

The draft is complementary to the recommendations of RFC2544 and RFC5180,
focusing on IPv6 transition technologies benchmarking. It includes a
tentative classification of transition technologies and proposes associated
test setups. It also proposes a method to acknowledge the frame size
overhead and how it should be considered when calculating the maximum
theoretical frame rates, in order to avoid exceeding the bandwidth of the
employed media.

The  draft also includes a tentative benchmark for scalability in the
context of network devices.

Scalability is seen as the ability of network devices to accommodate network
growth. As network growth can produce performance degradation, quantifying
this degradation can offer insights on the scalability of a certain network
devices. 

The network growth  can be generated by the tester by creating multiple
network flows. After measuring the performance in the context of multiple
flows, the performance degradation can be expressed as relative change
between the multiple flow results  and the single flow results.

As the draft is very close to the scope of the BMWG, I was hoping it can
become a BMWG draft at some point. Any comments and suggestion are welcome.
Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Marius Georgescu 　(マリウス ジョルジェスク)

Internet Engineering Laboratory 

Nara Institute of Science and Technology 

mailto:  <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked] 

IPv6NET Project:  <http://www.ipv6net.ro/> http://www.ipv6net.ro/