Subject: [bmwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-bmwg-sip-bench-term-11.txt> (Terminology for Benchmarking Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Devices: Basic session setup and registration) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 06:09:38 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Benchmarking Methodology WG
(bmwg) to consider the following document:
- 'Terminology for Benchmarking Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
   Devices: Basic session setup and registration'
  <draft-ietf-bmwg-sip-bench-term-11.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-10-08. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document provides a terminology for benchmarking the Session
   Initiation Protocol (SIP) performance of devices.  Methodology
   related to benchmarking SIP devices is described in the companion
   methodology document.  Using these two documents, benchmarks can be
   obtained and compared for different types of devices such as SIP
   Proxy Servers, Registrars and Session Border Controllers.  The term
   "performance" in this context means the capacity of the device-under-
   test (DUT) to process SIP messages.  Media streams are used only to
   study how they impact the signaling behavior.  The intent of the two
   documents is to provide a normalized set of tests that will enable an
   objective comparison of the capacity of SIP devices.  Test setup
   parameters and a methodology is necessary because SIP allows a wide
   range of configuration and operational conditions that can influence
   performance benchmark measurements.  A standard terminology and
   methodology will ensure that benchmarks have consistent definition
   and were obtained following the same procedures.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-sip-bench-term/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-sip-bench-term/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.