Subject: [bmwg] RFC 7501 on Terminology for Benchmarking Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Devices: Basic Session Setup and Registration

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 16:35:01 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7501

        Title:      Terminology for Benchmarking Session Initiation 
                    Protocol (SIP) Devices: Basic Session Setup 
                    and Registration 
        Author:     C. Davids, V. Gurbani, S. Poretsky
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 36573
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bmwg-sip-bench-term-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7501

This document provides a terminology for benchmarking the Session
Initiation Protocol (SIP) performance of devices.  Methodology
related to benchmarking SIP devices is described in the companion
methodology document (RFC 7502).  Using these two documents,
benchmarks can be obtained and compared for different types of
devices such as SIP Proxy Servers, Registrars, and Session Border
Controllers.  The term "performance" in this context means the
capacity of the Device Under Test (DUT) to process SIP messages.
Media streams are used only to study how they impact the signaling
behavior.  The intent of the two documents is to provide a normalized
set of tests that will enable an objective comparison of the capacity
of SIP devices.  Test setup parameters and a methodology are
necessary because SIP allows a wide range of configurations and
operational conditions that can influence performance benchmark
measurements.  A standard terminology and methodology will ensure
that benchmarks have consistent definitions and were obtained
following the same procedures.

This document is a product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC