Subject: [bmwg] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-bmwg-traffic-management-04: (with COMMENT)

From: "Kathleen Moriarty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 11:55:20 -0700

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bmwg-traffic-management-04: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-traffic-management/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your work on this draft.  I just have one question that was
raised in the SecDir review:

Was there any thought to how the tcpinc efforts might affect the ability
to gather measurements?
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/secdir/current/msg05726.html

It doesn't have an impact on this draft yet, but could in the future.

---

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 15:23:08 -0400

Hi Kathleen, thanks for forwarding the SECDIR comment from Sean,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Kathleen Moriarty [mailto:[email-masked]]
...
> draft-ietf-bmwg-traffic-management-04: No Objection
...

[ACM] 
It's fair to say that tcpinc wasn't in existence for most of this draft's development,
so the discussion didn't happen, but it's certainly possible now.

For most (all?) of the traffic management systems considered here, the 
primary packet features monitored include packet rate, packet size,
and especially for state-full traffic like TCP the pattern of packet arrival.
I don't think Tcpcrypt intends to change the congestion flow-control after start-up,
but the setup and encryption phases would certainly look different
from the typical 3-way handshake. Thus if TCPCRYPT becomes popular, it would 
be very natural for benchmarkers to consider these new packet patterns
and include them in test conditions.

regards,
Al
bmwg co-chair and doc_shepherd