Subject: [bmwg] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-bmwg-traffic-management-04: (with COMMENT)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 10:27:38 -0700

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bmwg-traffic-management-04: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-traffic-management/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 6.2.1 Queue/Scheduler Individual Tests Overview
I understand that is not finished work, but do we need to say a few words
about codel and pie
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-pie/ and
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-codel/

- More of a transport AD question:
"To this end, the stateful tests will use TCP test patterns to emulate
applications."
Do we need to emulate any applications on SCTP test patterns?
Asking the transport ADs about which deployed protocols use SCTP, their
answer was: WebRTC, SS7 signalling in 3gpp mobile networks.

Editorial:

- Section 1:

   Specifically, this framework defines the methods to characterize
   the capacity of the following traffic management features in network
   devices; classification, policing, queuing / scheduling, and
   traffic shaping.

Section 1.2

   This testing framework describes the tests and metrics for each of
   the following traffic management functions:
   - Policing
   - Queuing / Scheduling
   - Shaping

I would add classification to that list.

-  Section 1.2
    "Note the NDE SHOULD be used in "full pipe" delay mode."

I don't know what "full pipe" delay mode is

- OLD:
It is not within scope of this of this framework to specify
NEW:
It is not within scope of this framework to specify

- General observation. This is one of these documents where too many
acronyms make it difficult to read (and I have some QoS background)
Ex: "The tests will verify that the network device can handle the CIR
with CBS and the EIR with EBS
Note: I don't expect any action on this remark

- Section 6:

   Each test SHOULD compare the network device's internal statistics
   (available via command line management interface, SNMP, etc.) to the
   measured metrics defined in section 4. 

FYI. Most MIB interface/QoS counters are not updated real-time in
routers. 10 sec for interface stats is common.
So no real-time monitoring is possible.

- two instances of tester*: not sure what they mean
    configure the tester* to generate a profile of emulated of an
application traffic mixture