Subject: [bmwg] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-bmwg-issu-meth-01: (with COMMENT)

From: "Kathleen Moriarty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 17:44:47 -0700

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bmwg-issu-meth-01: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-issu-meth/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

In section 3, when "other checks" are described, I'd like to see an
explicit mention of a check to ensure the device is authorized to install
the software/firmware.  There have been numerous attacks against just
about every vendor where counterfeit hardware is deployed and runs the
firmware, OS, etc. issued.  Fraud can be a big issue and it isn't always
talked about, but this should definitely be a security consideration.  I
do think it fits in the subsections of section 3.  The statement added
can be as simple as, "check performed to ensure the device is authorized
to install the firmware".

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 21:37:57 +0200

Hi Kathleen,
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-issu-meth/
I wonder if this check makes sense for the BMWG documents, which specify 
procedures to benchmark operations in a test environment.
As mentioned in the document:

        As stated by [RFC 6815 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6815>], the Test Topology Setup must be part
        of an ITE (Isolated Test Environment)

Regards, Benoit
> .

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 16:14:56 -0400

Hi Benoit,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 3:37 PM, Benoit Claise <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-issu-meth/
>
>
>
I did think about about that and listed this just as a comment as a
result.  My thinking is that it would be good to catch such problems and
for us to bake this into automated updates where they happen.  As with the
other checks, no methods are provided or required with the simple text
addition.

These problems cause big issues, so if counterfeit hardware can be weeded
out, we reduce the threat space.  Unfortunately, most companies learn of
this issue when it hits them directly and costs them big.  It could have an
impact on customers too if monitoring is included with the counterfeit
hardware.

Take it or leave it, but I do think it's an important issue.

Thanks,
Kathleen

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen