Subject: [bmwg] Draft text for Re-Chartering

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 15:04:06 +0000

BMWG,

As discussed during our session in Prague, we have
nearly completed all our milestones and (recognizing
the number of new proposals we are tracking) it is time
to re-charter.

Below, please find the revised Charter text in Draft form.
Review will commence now through our session at IETF-100.

Also, it is time to determine which proposals have WG support
at the same time we re-charter, and we will add milestones
for those. Other proposals may need further consideration
as part of our on-going work. 

In any case, our session at IETF-100 will offer time for
the new charter review and discussion of new work proposals. 

So, please help the working group by participating
in discussions on the list and during the session!

for the co-chairs,
Al

Description of Working Group:

  The Benchmarking Methodology Working Group (BMWG) will continue to
  produce a series of recommendations concerning the key performance
  characteristics of internetworking technologies, or benchmarks for
  network devices, systems, and services. Taking a view of networking
  divided into planes, the scope of work includes benchmarks for the
  management, control, and forwarding planes. 

  The scope of BMWG has been extended to develop methods for
  virtual network functions (VNF) and their unique supporting 
  infrastructure (such as SDN Controllers and vSwitches). 
  Benchmarks for platform capacity and performance characteristics 
  of virtual routers, firewalls, signaling control
  gateways, and other forms of gateways are included.  
  The benchmarks will foster comparisons between physical and virtual 
  network functions, and also cover unique features of  
  Network Function Virtualization systems.

  Each recommendation will describe the class of network function, system, 
  or service being addressed; discuss the performance characteristics that
  are pertinent to that class; clearly identify a set of metrics that aid
  in the description of those characteristics; specify the methodologies
  required to collect said metrics; and lastly, present the requirements
  for the common, unambiguous reporting of benchmarking results.

  The set of relevant benchmarks will be developed with input from the
  community of users (e.g., network operators and testing organizations)
  and from those affected by the benchmarks when they are published
  (networking and test equipment manufacturers). When possible, the
  benchmarks and other terminologies will be developed jointly with
  organizations that are willing to share their expertise. Joint review
  requirements for a specific work area will be included in the
  description of the task.

  To better distinguish the BMWG from other measurement initiatives in the
  IETF, the scope of the BMWG is limited to the characterization of
  implementations of various internetworking technologies
  using controlled stimuli in a laboratory environment. Said differently,
  the BMWG does not attempt to produce benchmarks for live, operational
  networks. Moreover, the benchmarks produced by this WG shall strive to
  be vendor independent or otherwise have universal applicability to a
  given technology class.

  Because the demands of a particular technology may vary from deployment
  to deployment, a specific non-goal of the Working Group is to define
  acceptance criteria or performance requirements.

  An ongoing task is to provide a forum for development and
  advancement of measurements which provide insight on the
  capabilities and operation of implementations of inter-networking 
  technology. Ideally, BMWG should communicate with the operations 
  community through organizations such as NANOG, RIPE, and APRICOT.

Goals and Milestones:
...
  Dec 2017 - Methodology for SDV Controller Benchmarking to IESG Review
  Dec 2017 - Terminology for SDV Controller Benchmarking to IESG Review