Subject: [bmwg] Martin Duke's Discuss on draft-ietf-bmwg-evpntest-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Martin Duke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 16:49:19 -0700

Martin Duke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bmwg-evpntest-09: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-evpntest/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

(3.8) (4.8) Why is packet loss measured in time? How is learning 2X MAC
addresses relevant to the packet loss measurement at the traffic generator? How
long does the traffic generator have to wait to conclude that the packet is
lost?

(3.9) Is a single failure to learn an address sufficient to determine that the
device has reached capacity? Or could packet loss or some other phenomenon lose
some addresses? In other words, be more precise on how polling reveals the
capacity.

Is there some lower bound on the time between sending ARP/ND packets and
querying the DUT?

(3.11, 3.12, 4.10, 4.11) Does the traffic generator send F frames in total or F
ffs? The spec says both. Are there any constraints on F, perhaps an integer
multiple of X?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

(3.10, 4.9) Again, is there a minimum time between sending the traffic and
querying the result?

(3.12, 4.11) I don’t believe you’ve adequately addressed Al’s TSVART review.
What does “100% compared to the average usage” mean? Is that double? Shouldn’t
there be a formula to compute average usage?

As Al asks, what is the threshold over which an increase in memory usage will
fail the test?

---

From: Sarah Banks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 10:34:30 -0700

Hi Martin,
    Thanks for your review and comments. The authors are cc'ed here, and will review the feedback and provide the appropriate next steps.

Thanks,
Sarah

> On Jun 28, 2021, at 4:49 PM, Martin Duke via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> bmwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg