Subject: [bmwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-mlrsearch-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:23:29 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Multiple Loss Ratio Search for Packet Throughput (MLRsearch)
        Authors         : Maciek Konstantynowicz
                          Vratko Polak
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bmwg-mlrsearch-01.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2021-07-12

Abstract:
   This document proposes changes to [RFC2544], specifically to packet
   throughput search methodology, by defining a new search algorithm
   referred to as Multiple Loss Ratio search (MLRsearch for short).
   Instead of relying on binary search with pre-set starting offered
   load, it proposes a novel approach discovering the starting point in
   the initial phase, and then searching for packet throughput based on
   defined packet loss ratio (PLR) input criteria and defined final
   trial duration time.  One of the key design principles behind
   MLRsearch is minimizing the total test duration and searching for
   multiple packet throughput rates (each with a corresponding PLR)
   concurrently, instead of doing it sequentially.

   The main motivation behind MLRsearch is the new set of challenges and
   requirements posed by NFV (Network Function Virtualization),
   specifically software based implementations of NFV data planes.
   Using [RFC2544] in the experience of the authors yields often not
   repetitive and not replicable end results due to a large number of
   factors that are out of scope for this draft.  MLRsearch aims to
   address this challenge in a simple way of getting the same result
   sooner, so more repetitions can be done to describe the
   replicability.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-mlrsearch/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bmwg-mlrsearch-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bmwg-mlrsearch-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECH SRO at Cisco)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 18:32:25 +0000

This version describes the new logic
(few improvements since my last e-mail),
and gives some examples on how to use for finding throughput
in transactions per second, not just packets.

There is at least one small logic improvement left,
but more work is needed on terminology side.
E.g. the current draft still contains "transmit rate" and "offered load"
referring to the same thing, now called "intended load".

So there will definitely be at least one more draft version,
hopefully in not too distant future.

Vratko.

-----Original Message-----
From: bmwg <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, 2021-July-12 20:23
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [bmwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-mlrsearch-01.txt

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg