Subject: [bmwg] Comments are more than welcome for draft-lai-bmwg-istn-methodology

From: "zeqilai"<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 02:31:30 +0800

Dear co-chairs and bmwg:

Thanks a lot for arranging the slot for us and thank you for the valuable comments this time.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lai-bmwg-istn-methodology/
We believe that the right evaluation methodology for ISTN will produce a series of useful recommendations about the key performance metrics/characteristics of future internetworking technologies in ISTN. As our next-step work we will further clarify the problem statement, as well as the possible key benchmark metrics for ISTN.

Any further comments, suggestions, recommendations are more than welcome, thanks!

Best regards,
Zeqi Lai

---

From: Gabor LENCSE <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 21:32:59 +0100

Dear Zeqi,

Just to minor suggestions:

I am aware that an ISTN system is much more than the sum of its 
elements, but perhaps it is still worth checking about all its building 
elements, what kind of laboratory benchmarking tests have been defined 
for measuring their performance. (E.g. RFC 2544 for routers.) Are there 
some elements that are missing a proper benchmarking methodology? If so, 
perhaps you have found some gaps to fill in as your first step towards a 
comprehensive benchmarking methodology for ISTN systems.

You have mentioned some network simulators and emulators in your 
presentation and pointed out their limitations. Perhaps it would be 
worth checking OMNeT++ / OMNEST. It is quite resilient, and used in many 
areas. It is a simulator, but also supports e.g. hardware in the loop 
solutions. It can also be embedded. Full disclosure: its main author, 
András Varga was my fellow student at the Budapest University of 
Technology and Economics. I used OMNeT++ in the first years of my 
academic carrier, and I still have a lecture about it in a subject for 
PhD students. (OMNeT++ is free for academic purposes, but you need to 
buy an OMNEST license for commercial use.)

Best regards,

Gábor

On 11/8/2021 7:31 PM, zeqilai wrote:
> We believe that the right evaluation methodology for ISTN will produce 
> a series of useful recommendations about the key performance 
> metrics/characteristics of future internetworking technologies in 
> ISTN. As our next-step work we will further clarify the problem 
> statement, as well as the possible key benchmark metrics for ISTN.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> bmwg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg